please tell me your favourite books!

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by axpan, Jun 27, 2007.

1. axpan

axpan Well-Known Member

I'm planning on getting some books so I would love it if I could get some suggestions from you all.
    I want to get some books for the babies, a book that would help me get them to sleep on their own and any other books that might help me be better at this mommy job!
    And while you're at it maybe you could recommed some fiction for me?
    thanks so much.

2. Trish_e

Trish_e Well-Known Member

These are my DD's favorite books right now, I read these over and over.
    -The Eye book
    -The Foot book
    -Guess how my I love you
    -My sister and I
    -Goodnight Moon

For adult reading I love mystery. My favorite authors are Alax Kava, Erica Spindler, and Sidney Sheldon. HTH

3. Her Royal Jennyness

Her Royal Jennyness Well-Known Member

My babies have all liked books with textures they can feel like "Pat the Bunny" and "That's not my Puppy!" They also really like "Brown Bear, brown bear, what do you see?"

Fictionwise - I'm re-re-reading the Harry Potter series right now. I did recently read "One Thousand White Women" but it was really sad. :(

4. Renald99

Renald99 Well-Known Member

For books for you:

My Sisters Keeper & 19 Minutes by Jodi Piccoult
    & The Kite Runner (forget authors name) was excellent.

All are on the serious side. All were hard to put down.

5. stanley

stanley Well-Known Member

Hello! I am a first grade teacher, and I can honestly say that reading to your child even since birth is sooooooo important. It really does make a difference. Here are a few favorites:
    On the Night You Were Born by Nancy Tillman
    Brown Bear, Brown Bear by Eric Carle
    Snuggle Up, Sleepy Ones by Claire Freedman

Best wishes and Happy Reading,
    Jen

6. twinzmom2b

twinzmom2b Well-Known Member

The Belly Button Book
    Barnyard Dance

Both are by Sandra Boynton...we LOVe all of her books!

7. Laurenbelle

Laurenbelle Well-Known Member

Don't have any suggestions about baby books to get, but fiction: I am a HUGE Nicholas Sparks fan. I've been on a reading kick w/all his books for about the past year. I'm usually into fantasy, but picked up one of his books years ago (The Notebook - way before it was ever made into a movie) and fell in love. So if you're into some romance type, he's a great write. Also same as Jenny, I keep picking up Harry Potter whenever the newest movie comes out, to keep refreshed. And CAN'T wait for the last book, and next movie! My youngest brother bought me the first book for a X-mas present when it first came out, but I thought it was more of a kids book, so I just put it away til I saw that the first movie was coming out, then started reading it and could not put it down.

I apologize if you've already read Nicholas Sparks, but if not, I suggest reading a few of his novels first, then pick up Three Weeks With My Brother. It's a neat kind of autobiography almost....give some insight into most of his books. He's very down to earth.

8. Marieber

Marieber Well-Known Member

The first year, my bible was Dr. Weissbluth's "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child." I also like "What to Expect During the First Year." Now I'm into "1-2-3 Magic" for discipline (never to early to start thinking about that one).

Fiction: right now I'm reading "A Thousand Splendid Suns" by Khalid Hosseini and it's very very good. (I also loved his "The Kite Runner).

9. kuchar

kuchar Well-Known Member

I worked for a few years as a preschool teacher, so I have a million kids books I love, but my favorite is The Giving Tree. The Napping House is very cute. As they get a little bigger, The Kissing Hand is a good one about starting kindergarden. There are SO many good books out there! Have fun book shopping!
    Helen

10. AWerner

AWerner Well-Known Member

Any books by Audrey Wood, Eric Carle,Sandra Boynton,Bill Martin, Love You Forever by Robert Munsch (warning tearjerker) any kind of lift the flap books.. especially "Where is Baby's Belly Button" (we wore that one out) and also Counting Kisses by Karen Katz

Jennifer Weiner and Fannie Flagg (she wrote Fried Green Tomatoes)fiction books for you, always make me laugh and cry

11. traci_roo

traci_roo Well-Known Member

My babies love being read to. Their favorites so far are Brown Bear, Brown Bear, The Very Hungry Caterpillar, and Polar Bear, Polar Bear by Eric Carle. We also have Snuggle Wuggle and Goodnight, Gorilla but they don't seem to enjoy those as much. I think they like the pictures in the Eric Carle books because of the bright, basic colors. When I taught preschool my students also loved the Eric Carle books.

I am also looking for some summer reading for myself and someone suggested the book The Time Traveler's Wife. I haven't read it yet but it sounds good.

12. Trish_e

Trish_e Well-Known Member

QUOTE(kuchar @ Jun 27 2007, 03:56 PM) [snapback]309435[/snapback]
    The Kissing Hand is a good one about starting kindergarden.

I love this book! I cried the first time I read it. Its perfect for Kindergarden. :)

13. noahandjacobsmom

noahandjacobsmom Well-Known Member

QUOTE(traci_roo @ Jun 27 2007, 04:05 PM) [snapback]309444[/snapback]
    My babies love being read to. Their favorites so far are Brown Bear, Brown Bear, The Very Hungry Caterpillar, and Polar Bear, Polar Bear by Eric Carle. We also have Snuggle Wuggle and Goodnight, Gorilla but they don't seem to enjoy those as much. I think they like the pictures in the Eric Carle books because of the bright, basic colors. When I taught preschool my students also loved the Eric Carle books.

Ditto. My guys love his books. They also have them on DVD and the kids will sit mesmerized watching the stories come to life.

14. excitedk

excitedk Well-Known Member

Mine love Pat the Bunny, dd can do each activity in it now, so precious!!! Health Sleep Habits Happy Child for your sleep issues.

15. NYCmom

NYCmom Well-Known Member

It's not fiction, but I really enjoyed "Operating Instructions" by Anne Lamott -- it is her journal for the first year of her son's life. It is very funny, and makes you feel like you are not alone in feeling crazy and lost and goofy through all of this.

16. mom of one plus two

mom of one plus two Well-Known Member

Dr Sears. The Baby Book. We refer to it often. For BF my bible was The Womanly Art of BF.

17. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

My girls love:

Oh My, Oh My, Oh Dinosaur
    Goodnight Moon
    Jamberry (Emma's favorite!!)

My husband's aunt teaches second grade so sends us a couple of books here and here and it never fails - they are always a hit with my girls.

As far as reading for you - I have read nothing but baby books since being preggers so I don't even remember what it's like to read anything else! :laughing:

18. tdemarco01

tdemarco01 Well-Known Member

my boys love "bear snores on" -- it rhymes so I've memorized it and can tell them this on car rides, etc. It's a great book

Teri D

19. marcy874

marcy874 Well-Known Member

My girls love all of their books really, but the ones they seem to bring to me the most are: The Spot the Dog series and Cordoury Bear series (we have a couple holiday ones of each my mom has gotten them), Where is Baby's Belly Button, Yummy Yucky, Quiet Loud, and the Baby Einstein books.

For you, the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich is great! Its a very light and funny read. Its a series of 13 so far...they're all # books, ie "One for the Money", "Two for the Dough", etc. I also love most of Nora Robert's books.

20. LeslieT

LeslieT Member

My girls like books with simpler pictures and don't have patience for too many works, so they love:

Hello, Lulu by Caroline Uff
    Bedtime peekaboo! by DK

Plus they like ones that light up and make noises:

I love you more than.. . . . by Heidi Weimer
    Sound on the Farm by Gail Donovan

They like these so much, they will sit for 30 minutes and listen to me read them over and over again. I'm close to not even needing to books to say the words. But sometimes when they are really cranky, if I open the book and start reading, they will immediately calm down.

21. natmarie

natmarie Well-Known Member

Some of our favorites here are:
    Brown Bear, Brown Bear What do you see?
    Mrs Wishy Washy
    Dear Zoo
    The little Mouse, the Red Ripe Strawberry and the Big Hungry Bear
    Sandra Bouyton Books-One, Two, Three, Barnyard Dance etc.

For me I really liked the book Twilight. It is a good clean Romantic book about Vampires

22. WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot Well-Known Member

Such interesting books!
    And I totally agree about 'One Thousand White Women'. I didn't expect it to be that sad :c

23. Kessedi

Kessedi Well-Known Member

My favourite book is the Bible and I don't dissemble. First time I read it when I was 15 and since then I am totally another person. If you like this great book too then feel free to check the site related to the Bible and its study.