bicycle trailer

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by mom of one plus two, Apr 24, 2007.

1. mom of one plus two

mom of one plus two Well-Known Member

Is there anyone out there who pulls their twins in a bicycle trailer. My babes are 9 months (is that too young?) and I just started using it this week. The name brand is Bell. It have two seats side by side. I love biking and want to bike all summer. This was also my weight loss plan to loss the twin weight and I am very discouraged. Does anyone have any ideas? What trailers do you use that are baby friendly. It is horrible riding down the street with a chorus of waaaaahs coming from behind you!

2. becky5

becky5 Guest

I have one, no waaaaahs here! They actually love it. I started putting them in it when they were 9 months also. I am not sure what brand it is. It is yellow, blue, and red, and I think I got it at Target. It turns into a stroller(albeit GIGANTIC!)if you put the extra wheel on. I do put a towel in between my two so they don't get squished together since there isn't a divider, just the seatbelts. I would just keep at it, maybe give them sippy cups, or toys to play with. I think that they will get used to it.

3. sitkamom

sitkamom Well-Known Member

I was wondering about bicycle trailers myself...I'm planning on getting a Burley brand one and use it this summer but my kids aren't very old just yet. How old should they be I wonder to start with the bike rides...does it matter more how they fit in the trailer or should they be able to sit up by themselves and reach other 'milestones' first? Sorry to hijack your post ;)

4. schlengermom

schlengermom Well-Known Member

hi all.
    Our girls are just over 4 months old and they love the one we have...although they have only been in it a few times. I think it's just something that they have to get used too...like riding in the car. They love that too, as long as they are moving I think they will be happy. You might try giving them some toys to play with., or try just walking with them in it at first, itmay be that they don't realize where you have gone...looking at your backside..lol...

5. Trillian

Trillian Well-Known Member

no advice here, I just know how you feel. My jogger is a tandem and they won't ride in it. Whoever sits in the back cries the whole time and kicks the one in front so i have a $600 stroller that the babies hate and a $60 SBS umbrella that they love.
    Walking/running was going to be my weight loss plan so now I have to either sell the stroller and get another SBS or get them used to the tandem.
    Maybe yours will get used to it as time goes on, it could be just because it's something new.

6. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

sounds fun to me!! my girls are too young right now but I can only imagine their reaction - they would be able to see me but not be able to get to me - they would probably cry -

7. mom of one plus two

Thank you everyone for your help. I will try some of the suggestions and keep taking them out and hopefully it will improve.

8. Merijo

Merijo Well-Known Member

I think they are supposed be older... I'll look it up and post it. I know we wanted one for our first ds and had to wait longer than we thought.

http://www.helmets.org/little1s.htm

http://www.kidshealth.org/parent/firstaid_...ike_safety.html
    Riding With Young Children
    When kids are very young, a smart way to teach them bicycle safety is by example. Today's child safety carriers and other options give you the opportunity to spend quality time with your child while introducing your little one to the open road. However, your child must always wear a helmet and should be at least 1 year old before you take him or her for a ride. Be a positive role model (and protect your own head) by wearing your own helmet, too.

Merijo

9. mom of one plus two

Okay, I tried three more times using different suggestions and they still cried. I even tried one baby with my 6 year old and the babe cried all the time except for when my older daughter gave her her bottle. Then - which I should have done first - I found instruction for the trailer. Since we bought it used, we didn't have any and it actually says... not for kids under 18 months.

Oh, well. Live and learn. I put it away for next summer. Hopefully other can learn from my mistake and not torture their children.