Board games, when do you play, what do you play?

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by rissakaye, Jul 16, 2014.

1. rissakaye

rissakaye Well-Known Member TS Moderator

One of my favorite things we did as a kid, was my mom board games with us.  When we were older, it was a Friday night thing.  But when we were in elementary school, it was something we did over lunch in the summer.  I've started doing that with my kids.  We have games that we play where you can eat with one hand and play the game with the other (that means no card games).  Generally, we also use plastic pieces in case of spills.

Growing up, we did mostly Rummikub and Upwords.  I do Rummikub with my kids.  Upwords is no longer made.  I did find a game called Dabble which you draw 20 tiles and make one each of a 2,3,4,5, and 6 letter words out of a pile of letters.  (Spelling is improving around here!)  The kids also like Dominos and any of the Blokus games.  

If we play in the evenings, the kids like Settlers of Catan and Word Thief.  

Some of the games we modify rules on or don't bother to keep score and just play for fun.  I've noticed everyone is usually pretty content to go play after lunch when we have a game with lunch.  

What do you play?

Marissa

2. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My girls love playing board games. Right now their favorite is wits and wagers.

3. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My girls are still too young to play really. Or I'm not patient enough to play with them? I'm not sure. :pardon: But I look forward to having some kind of family game time some day.

4. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

We play a lot on the weekends. Basically, any games: Life, Sorry, Clue, Monopoly Jr, Scrabble Jr, Yahtzee Jr, card games, etc.

5. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

When can they play Catan? I've started playing again and am kinda addicted!

Currently mine like to play The Ladybug Game. It's ok but I'm really looking forward to when they can do more advanced stuff.

1 person likes this.
  6. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We found the perfect game to play with kiddos: Spot It. it's portable, easy and a fun game for adults too. I always have it in my purse and we play a lot when we're waiting for something. We've also been teaching the boys chess and they love that. We have a few kid friendly games but the boys aren't quite into them yet. They do like puzzle games a lot though.. although we try to limit the ipad, I don't mind if they play chess or puzzle games on there.

7. Kendra

Kendra Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Spot It is the BEST! I have regular, Jr and some NHL cards (they were in a cereal box and dad saved them for me- they were great with the 8-10 year old boys at day care) There are all sorts of other versions, I really want the Halloween one.

Kids at day care were really into Life and UNO this year.

8. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Right now the kids are into Hungry, Hungry Hippos and used to love to play Candyland and Chutes and Ladders.
    We did try Trouble and that just went on too long and the kids lost interest, we'll try that again when they are older.
    I have tried Operation (the minion version since my two are all about the minions) and they HATE the buzzing sound and refused to play it.
    A game that one of their friends had that I'd like to find is the sock monkey game.  Basically one kid has to hide the sock monkey and the kid who is supposed to find it goes through cards that ask for different hints until they come up with the card that tells them to go look.  You can also do with out the cards as well.  The kids had a lot of fun with that one.

9. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

My kids love playing Trouble.  Definitely a favorite of theirs.  We just taught them how to play Skipbo the other weekend too and they liked that as well.

10. rissakaye

rissakaye Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Catan is one that we play with modified rules.  It speeds up the game.  We play where during the building phase, anyone can trade with anyone and anyone can use their ports.  The kids originally had trouble remembering who to trade with.  We also took out the robber.  We kept the penalty for being over 7 cards when a 7 is rolled.  Then, instead of the robber, you get to call any number you want and those are the cards handed out.  The kids took the robber waaay too personally and we had a lot of tears.  Now, it's a chance to get that resource that you haven't been getting. 

My kids were about 8 when we started them with Catan.  My nephew is younger than the twins so I think he started playing around 6 with the modified rules.  I know there is a kids version of Catan, but I don't know if it's any good or not.

Marissa

2 people like this.
  11. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Uno Moo is a favorite here. It's pretty fun. And they love Guess Who as well.

12. TwinsInOkinawa

TwinsInOkinawa Well-Known Member

We just found Spot It too. Love it!

The girls also love Skipbo and Phase 10. Sometime we play mastermind and ticket to ride.

13. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

We play board games a lot while I am nursing the baby or as a quiet activity to wind down before bedtime.

Uno, Memory, Dominos and Rummy (with simplified rules) are favourites. But we have a whole shelf of board games, some dating back to my childhood, so we have lots of choices.

Edited for spelling.

14. mummy2two

mummy2two Well-Known Member

My kids love board games.  They love Trouble (my husband's favorite.  It took a few tries for them not to be upset with this game), HeadBanz, Chutes and Ladders (way too long in my opinion), Candyland, Sequence, Zingo, chess (my husband knows how to play and I don't), checkers, Let's go Fishing, Mousetrap (son is obsessed), Blokus, Operation, Pictionary Jr. and many more that I can't remember right now.

15. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

we just started Catan with ours this year also.  They do make a Catan Junior for younger kids.  We also play Munchkin (which is a card game).

16. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Clayton LOVES LOVES LOVES board games.  I bought them Clue for Christmas and the only downfall is that is really requires 3 people to play or more and him and I are the only ones interested.  He loves SKIPBO, aggravation, chess and basically anything.  I loved playing Mille Bornes growing up so I cannot wait to play that.  Clayton is the only one who is really into games.  It is hard to get Audrey to play and Evan doesn't have the attention span to play 'fairly.' 

17. Kendra

Re: games and twins. Mom is 8 years older than her sister and always felt guilty beating her in games. Still does actually so she was happy to have twins who could play at an even playing field. Of course she got one who will take you down to the DEATH and one who can walk away in the middle of winning (me)

18. miss_bossy18

This literally doesn't compute for me. ;) Actually, this is one reason Justin and I are careful about what games we play together and when. Someone *ahem* is a wee bit competitive at times (that'd be me).

19. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Love spot it! My girls also love headbanz, trouble, scrabble, candy land (still!), goblet gobblers, dancing eggs, super stretchy a b c's, and Meara loves any and all card games.

My girls play all of these together, but sometimes I will hop in the game too. They are definitely more competitive when I'm playing, as opposed to when it's just the two of them.

20. rrodman

Risk almost ended our relationship.

1 person likes this.
  21. miss_bossy18

I may (or may not) have thrown dice at Justin playing Risk once.

1 person likes this.
  22. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

there's a reason that people won't play Trivial Pursuit against Tony and I...

1 person likes this.
  23. rrodman

I may (or may not) have thrown all of Risk at Rick once.

1 person likes this.
  24. miss_bossy18

:laughing:

25. Kendra

I've added Halloween Spot It to my collection. There are Disney character versions out now too.

The reason I drug this up is because I bought Blockus Duo (2 player version of the big game) and it is huge hit. 5 year olds play with 9 year olds! Its great.

1 person likes this.
  26. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

My girls (8 1/2) love to play board games.  If they play together or with friends, they usually play Uno, Headbanz, Sorry, or Battleship.

We play as a family a lot, or even invite friends (adult and about same age kids) over for game night on the weekends.  Then we play Monopoly, Life, Sorry, Sequence (the big version that comes in the tube), Clue, or Rummy.

27. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

Thanks for the suggestion, Kendra, that looks like something my boys will like!  And another Christmas/Hannukate present taken care of. 

1 person likes this.
  28. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Thanks for bumping this! Adding Spot it on my Christmas list. Are all the versions pretty much the same?

29. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

All versions are basically the same idea, although there's a few other game variants that aren't called "spot it!" in the same kind of container. It's super fun though.

30. Kendra

Yes, they are all along the same lines. I really really want the hipster version! Moustaches! Fixed gear bikes! Fedoras! But $30 for a game.... Freaking hipsters.

31. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

We play a lot of games (we dont watch much TV - no cable- so we play games in the weekend evenings!) We have played since they were small:

Favorites: 4- 6

Animal Towers, Memory, Sequence Jr, Gobblet Jr, Mastermind Jr, Enchanted Forest, Mystery GArden, Rivers Roads & Rails, Hiss, Jenga, Card games (go fish, Old  maid, Rat a tat Cat, Mermaid Island, etc)

Ages 7-9 (now)

Loot (SO MUCH FUN- card game even adults really like!), Mastermind, Amazing Labryith, Ticket to Ride, Qwirkle, Love Letter, Othello, chess, Gobblet, Forbidden Island, Timeline (all versions- another fun card game for history people)

We tend to graviate toward the European games....somehow they appeal more to the adults and many are easy for kidds 7 or 8+ to play! Plus they are made very well and often outlast interest.

32. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

The Hip one? It's $13 on amazon.

And yeah I love European games too, I grew up with Ravensburger stuff! Will definitely get Labyrinth at some point.

We play Munchkin with family, but I think the kids are still way too young to get it. Love that game.

33. Kendra

Way more expensive in Canada.

34. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

35. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Can I just say-spot it! is so cool! I followed this thread, and boys birthday was yesterday(WHAT??). I grabbed two of them and threw them in their birthday bag. What an awesome game!! Lol! So freaking simple! You can play anywhere! We were all playingast night. Today we had a christening and were playing during a lull. We are going to Disney next week, you can bet we will take that on the plane! We love it! Great suggestion. Thank you!

1 person likes this.