Can you be 35 weeks and not know it's twins?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Maybe2, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Maybe2

Maybe2 New Member

Hi

I am wondering if anyone else has found out late in pregnancy that they were expecting twins? I am 35 weeks pregnant (fourth pregnancy), and measuring 35cm, which is much bigger then my previous pregnancy where I was 31cm at full term. I weigh the same amount as I did with the last one, and he was 7 lbs 2 oz at birth. I am now wondering if it is possible that there are two babies in there this time, especially since I feel alot bigger. The midwife felt my belly, but could only feel one baby, but I wonder if it is possible to not be able to feel the second baby. I would be very curious to hear if anyone else has had a similar experience, or if it is even possible to be measuring "normal" (though large for me) and have twins?

Thanks

2. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would definitely say it's possible to only be feeling one baby... I could only really feel the kicks of one of my guysbecause I had an anterior placenta. I have heard all kinds of stories about people who found out they were having twins weeks before they were due.. or after the first one was delivered! Did you have any ultrasounds during pregnancy? If not, then I would want to go get one to make sure that everything is on track.

3. PinkDiamonds

PinkDiamonds Well-Known Member

Yeah an u/s would be able to tell u that u're having 2 babies!

I am definitely larger than my singleton pregnancy, although many have commented that I don't look like I'm having 2 babies and that I look "small."

How are ur babies weighing right now? If they measure what they should at 35 weeks, again u can tell this from an u/s then I guess there isn't much to worry about. U'll be having these babies in ur arms really soon. :)

4. Maybe2

Maybe2 New Member

No I haven't had an ultrasound this pregnancy, but I have one booked for two weeks from now. I was just wondering if it was even possible that it could be twins or if I'm crazy to even think it's a possibility!

5. PinkDiamonds

I've read that it's possible to feel bigger with subsequent pregnancies as ur womb has already been stretched before. Sorry I don't have a similar experience to share.

R u hoping for twins? :)

6. Maybe2

Maybe2 New Member

I would be very excited to have twins.

7. PinkDiamonds

I hope u get some answers from the other moms here! do let us know how the ultrasound went!

8. Mellizos

Mellizos Well-Known Member

At 35 weeks, it would be very difficult to miss the 2nd baby, even with just external palpitations. Mine were missed until 22 weeks, but by 35 weeks, my stomach looked like a mountain range. The babies were two distinct peaks. And honestly 35 cm at 35 weeks with your fourth pregnancy? Sounds like a normal size.

9. genagoodrow

genagoodrow Well-Known Member

Absolutely. My aunt did. If I hadn't had an u/s I'm sure I wouldn't have known either.

10. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

I'd say it is definitely possible, however, it is also possible to measure bigger with the next baby and it not be twins. Are there other symptoms that you might be feeling other than just measurements? Right before I had the babies...which was at 35 weeks, I was already measuring 40+ weeks and the movement of the babies was so intense that I thought they were going to break my ribs. Also, according to my OB, I was experiencing symptoms that a normal 40 week pregnant woman would be experiencing.

11. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

Anything is possible but is it likely?

me too.

12. mhardman

mhardman Well-Known Member

I have a friend whose relative had several u/s and didn't know it was twins until two came out in the delivery room. You never know. But as it is your fourth, I kinda doubt it with just being a bigger size.

13. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree!

But I guess anything is possible.

14. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

I didn't know till 24 weeks. I could only ever feel jazz kicking too

15. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My MIL In 1978-79 didn't find out she was having twins till she had them. She had two ultrasounds which was not common then. She had an ultrasound about 3 weeks before she had the twins and was told it was one baby.

16. susangilpin

susangilpin Active Member

Rachel,

What were the "Symptoms" that a normal 40 week woman would experience? I am 34 weeks and glad I have come this far but I am so miserable right now I'm wondering how far I have to go. I am dialated a little over 2cm and 50% effaced but wondering what else I should look for to see when the babies will come?