Congestion in the twins

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by JLF518, Nov 23, 2008.

1. JLF518

JLF518 Well-Known Member

Okay the boys have been congested for a couple of days; DH and I took them to the pedi Friday and he said they just have a cold, nothing else. I've tried the saline nose drops and have tried suctioning them, however not much comes out. Also we put a humidifier in the room but I'm not sure what else I can do for them because they are still too young to try many things. Luke had a rough night last night and I want to be able to help them out; they sound soo snotted. Any ideas?

2. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

I was going to suggest a humidifier but it looks like you have already done that. I hope they are feeling better soon! :hug:

3. Rach28

Rach28 Well-Known Member

Ugh, mine are the same.

Unfortuantely, the only thing you can do is to wait it out. My DS has phlegm but it´s at the back of his throat. Both seem to cope with it ok though. I´d try giving them water to drink between feeds. This may help them to swallow it and loosen the thickness of it (sorry TMI!). Also, sneezing helps - it´s their mechanism to get rid of phlegm according to a book (cant remember which) I read.

Hope they get better asap.

4. chrystalvaughn

chrystalvaughn Well-Known Member

Put some baby Vicks on there clothes and use that bath stuff with vapor to help with colds when you give them a bath. Also there is an outlet plug thing that has vapor in it and that also helps.

5. tamaras

tamaras Well-Known Member

We used the Vicks cool mist humidifier, Baby Vicks on their backs/chest/feet, saline, suction and I just bought the Vicks plug-in's & they are AWESOME.
    A warm bath also helps :)

6. debbie_long83

debbie_long83 Well-Known Member

Ugh, I think EVERYBODY (including me!) is snotty! It stinks, but all I can tell you is to do what you're doing. I got the same advice the first time my girls were like that and I was a little disappointed that there wasn't some miracle thing that I didn't know about. Keeping them elevated helps too. Our pedi told us the first time they were really bad to strap them into their carseats and prop them practically straight up to help with the drainage. I've also heard that using the bulb syringe too much can irritate the nose and cause more mucus. Good luck!

7. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(tamaras @ Nov 23 2008, 04:27 PM) [snapback]1083470[/snapback]
    We used the Vicks cool mist humidifier, Baby Vicks on their backs/chest/feet, saline, suction and I just bought the Vicks plug-in's & they are AWESOME.
    A warm bath also helps :)

I totally second what Tamara said...all of the above have worked wonders for our duo when they've had colds!

8. Halseyse

Halseyse Well-Known Member

We're all getting over colds here too. I feel for you and your little dears, but it will get better. Lots of great suggestions from PP's - I'm thinking about getting the Vicks plug ins myself :lol:

9. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

What kind of humidifier do you have? I have congestion at night and I had an invisible mist humidifier and it did nothing to me. Once I switched to a visible mist one it was light and day.

10. We had a steam humidifier, and our pedi insisted on a cool mist humidifier - the next night was far more peaceful! It's also a bit loud, so it functions beautifully as a white noise machine.

11. JLF518

JLF518 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Fran27 @ Nov 23 2008, 06:06 PM) [snapback]1083613[/snapback]
    What kind of humidifier do you have? I have congestion at night and I had an invisible mist humidifier and it did nothing to me. Once I switched to a visible mist one it was light and day.

We have a warm mist humidifer and its actually quiet at night. It has a cup for Vicks stuff so maybe I'll pick some up. Thanks to everyone for the great advice. These are my first kiddos and I guess I'm the first time mom who freaks out about everything! I keep thinking they are going to choke, the poor little guys seem so congested!

12. theklafkas

theklafkas Well-Known Member

Seems like everytime I turn around the babies are stuffy! But hubby and I will be sitting watching TV while the babies are sleeping and Austin snores! It is the cutest thing ever but I think he is having a hard time breathing when he sleeps. They have an appointment on December 4th and I am going to ask the Pedi about it!

13. Andi German

Andi German Well-Known Member

There's another thread about this too. I put vicks on their chests and under their noses. Saline spray them every 3 hours during the day - you have to fill their noses otherwise its pointless - they hate it but if you do it regularly and use a lot of saline it can clear them. I elevate their beds and put olbas oil on cotton wool by their beds. I give them tylenol before bed time. I am going to get one of those vicks plug ins as well! HOpe they are feeling better soon.

14. piccologirl

piccologirl Well-Known Member

we've been doing saline, suctioning and using a humidifier. on their worst night i closed up the master bath and cranked the hot water in the shower. the shower/tub is in its own small separate enclosure in the bathroom so it filled up with steam pretty quickly. i took the babies in there and held them and rocked them so they could breathe the warm moist air for maybe 5 or so minutes (careful not to overheat them). it helped tremendously.

our ped said we could actually take them into the shower but i'm terrified of the idea of holding slippery wet babies in the shower so we just sat outside of the shower enclosure and enjoyed the steam. i was careful to make a slow transition back into the rest of the house when we were done because i didn't want to shock them with a big lungful of cooler air after all that warmth.

15. keejaylove

keejaylove Well-Known Member

our DO suggests this gentle massage-like technique to help with drainage for sinus congestion, Eustachian tube blockage and general nasal drainage
    It's called the Effleurage technique
    Use your thumbs and gently press following a path downward starting at the forehead above the eyes, outward towards the temples and down the cheeks to the collar bones. Then you start below the eyes (same path), then below the nose (same path), then below the chin to collar bones.

Effleurage is defined as “stroking movement in massage used to move lymphatic fluids.â€

We saw her Saturday and I can already see a difference in the boys (who have been sick with this gunk for about 2 months!)
    I strongly believe in the power of the human touch

we also do the saline (lots of it, which one hates more than the other) and I've heard to put Vicks on the bottom of the feet and put socks over to go to bed... apparently it seeps into the pours that way...

16. aandja79

aandja79 Well-Known Member

My daughter has the same problem off and on. Apart from the saline drops, humidifier etc, I bought her a $15 crib wedge which I put underneath her sheet in her crib. It just raises her up a little, and makes it easier to breathe.
    Sorry your boys are so congested :-( Hope they feel better soon.

17. heathertwins

heathertwins Well-Known Member

if you are bf I've heard of putting breastmilk down their noses. I wish I had pumped and kept some for this purpose.....

18. cohlee

cohlee Well-Known Member

Vapor plugins are the best thing ever!

19. aussiemom

aussiemom Administrator Staff Member TS Moderator