Diapering

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Mommy2PJ, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Mommy2PJ

Mommy2PJ Well-Known Member

Is anyone here planning to cloth diaper their twins? I CD my son right now and it's so easy (and cheap!) that I'm definitely going to do it for the twins too. I use mostly fuzzi bunz and bum genius diapers.

Anyone else?

2. Mommy2PJ

Is anyone here planning to cloth diaper their twins? I CD my son right now and it's so easy (and cheap!) that I'm definitely going to do it for the twins too. I use mostly fuzzi bunz and bum genius diapers.

Anyone else?

3. momoftheforest

momoftheforest Well-Known Member

My DH and I were talking about that since we spend so much on diapers for our 8 mth old. I couldnt find any diaper services around in my area. Do you use your own diapers and wash them? Is there a trick to it? Please let me know, we are very interested in doing this with our twins.

4. Mommy2PJ

I use my own, but they're not traditional cloth diapers like for a diaper service. You can wash them in your washing machine! It's so easy! And they're SO cute!

For DS, I started out using Fuzzi Bunz. Go to www.fuzzibunz.com and www.fuzzibunzstore.com He got to the point where I didn't like the way they fit him (he's tall and skinny) on his legs and they leaked here and there. So then we switched to Bum Genius and I LOVE LOVE LOVE them! Plus, they are one size with an adjustable rise, so you don't have to buy different sizes! You can get them at www.cottonbabies.com

I have also bought a lot of good used diapers on e-bay for way cheaper, then you can resell them later too. They retain their resale value incredibly well!

There is all kinds of info online on how to wash and care for them.

HTH!

5. Laura in Alaska

Laura in Alaska Well-Known Member

I've mentioned this as a possibility to my DH and he just laughed at me! [​IMG] I'm going to check them out anyway though and see if I can convince him by showing him how much money we could save.

It could happen! ~ Laura

6. sitkamom

sitkamom Well-Known Member

We're going to start out with disposables for the first couple weeks til they fit into their small Fuzzibunz that we already bought and til we get the hang of diapering in general [​IMG]. Right now we only have 15 of them so we still need to get more, probably off ebay, but we couldn't imagine not at least TRYING to CD with twins with the cost of diapering! I have several friends in town that cloth diaper so they've got some good systems for us to try. Plus the damage that disposables to to the environment is way too much for me think about. But, in the end, we'll do what we can, when we can. Good luck!

7. Fay

Fay Well-Known Member

I cloth diaper my twins! I started when they were about 6 months old and I would have started much sooner if only I'd taken the time to learn more about it! I post on another parenting board not specific to twins at all and probably about half of the twin moms there also CD. if not more!

We use more Happy Heiny's than anything. We got them from Alison (Ali M) here at TS. Her family's site is www.nossgalenbaby.com and it's in her siggy if you happen across one of her posts.

For me, it hasn't been inconvient or any extra trouble. I have to wash, of course, but it's really no big deal. I wash daily b/c it's easiest for me to work it into my routine that way. And I've saved TONS!

We use Very Baby Simply Nights for nightime diapering from Olive Branch Baby and we are really just very happy about the whole experience.

Glad to see a few other CD mamas diapering their multiples! [​IMG]

For anyone still considering the choices out there, I really encourage you to learn more about cloth diapering as a really practical (and affordable!!!) option!

8. Mommy2PJ

quote:
    Originally posted by Fay:
    I cloth diaper my twins! I started when they were about 6 months old and I would have started much sooner if only I'd taken the time to learn more about it! I post on another parenting board not specific to twins at all and probably about half of the twin moms there also CD. if not more!

We use more Happy Heiny's than anything. We got them from Alison (Ali M) here at TS. Her family's site is www.nossgalenbaby.com and it's in her siggy if you happen across one of her posts.

For me, it hasn't been inconvient or any extra trouble. I have to wash, of course, but it's really no big deal. I wash daily b/c it's easiest for me to work it into my routine that way. And I've saved TONS!

We use Very Baby Simply Nights for nightime diapering from Olive Branch Baby and we are really just very happy about the whole experience.

Glad to see a few other CD mamas diapering their multiples! [​IMG]

For anyone still considering the choices out there, I really encourage you to learn more about cloth diapering as a really practical (and affordable!!!) option!

Glad to hear it!! The usual response I get is "ummm you're going to CD TWINS?!?!" lol And my response of course is now that I know how much money I can save from CDing DS, how could I NOT with the twins?! [​IMG]

9. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

We were planning on cloth diapering when we thought we were expecting just one baby, but we got intimidated when we found out it was twins. At that point, I though cloth diapering still involved prefolds, covers, and pins. If I had only done my research...

The girls were near 1 year old when I happened across pocket diapers. We tried all the main brands and I fell in love with the Happy Heinys for ease of use. When you have to quickly get diapers on two squirming toddlers, velcro is wonderful. [​IMG]

The diapers that are available today make cloth diapering so easy. You just throw wet diapers in a waterproof bag and then empty the bag into the washing machine when you are ready to do laundry. Do a cold rinse then a hot wash and throw everything into the dryer. If you have poop from a baby that is fed solids, you can turn the diaper over the toilet and the poop will fall off. That way the poop goes to the sewer where it belongs, not to the landfill.

There are quite a few cloth diapering options available. The cheapest is prefolds with covers followed by pocket diapers and then all-in-ones. Try out a few of each in a couple different brands to see what works best for you and your babies. Once you pick the brand you like best, then stock up on those and you can still use the samples that you bought before.

I've already got our stash of diapers ready for this next baby and I'm so excited to start using them again. One thing you'll find with cloth diapering is that it is addictive. [​IMG] Who's ever heard of someone excited to use disposables? [​IMG]

10. MrsCasper

MrsCasper Active Member

I am expecting twins and my husband is saying no way on the cloth diapers! I checked out some of the websites and wow they have come a long way with them since my 13 year old.

I am going to really work on convinciing my husbad to try.
    QUESTION: How much money do you think you save using cloth with 2 babies?

Thanks all!

I am brand new here and this is a totally awesome site!

11. Laura in Alaska

I'm chiming in again because I found this site about the cost savings for just ONE baby: Cost Savings. I showed this to my DH who wouldn't even consider CD all this time and now he's convinced. He wants to buy a dozen diapers for each baby! [​IMG]

I guess timing is everything! Thanks for the great thread!
    ~Laura

12. Jordari

Jordari Well-Known Member

I'm exploring cloth as well...surprisingly, it was DH's idea! He wanted to have cotton next to the babies.....I told him that was fine - as long as he was planning on doing the laundry!

One comment on the cost savings; I just had a long conversation w/ a friend who is about to deliver and who did a lot of research: on the cost comparison sites she saw (not necessarily the one above), she said that the baseline prices they were using for disposables were way higher than most people would pay; sort of the cost if you buy a 12 pack at a supermarket, rather than buy in bulk as I presume most twin parents would do. I'm not saying there are not significant cost savings, just that I would be a bit leery of the cost-per-diaper that they are using to make the accounting.

The site i read also said specifically NOT to use bleach on cloth diapers, as it effects their absorbency and erases any manufacturer guarantees - just sharing.

13. Marbear

Marbear Well-Known Member

I would consider CD if the darned diapers didn't cost so much. Does anyone know if there are cloth diapers that are easy to use (like the AIOS) that can be used the entire first year? It seems like such a waste to buy diapers in every size because with twins you have to buy twice as many diapers in the first place (unless you really like laundry). My son went through 12 or more a day, so I am thinking if I bought 25 cloth diapers I would still have to do the laundry every day (which costs money in water, electricity, detergent, and my labor) but then wouldn't I have to just buy a whole new set when they were 4 mos old due to size change? LIke I said, I'm not totally against, it, but I don't want to buy a whole bunch of different sizes because that cost adds up really quickly. You can get about 90 newborn diapers at target for $10, so considering some of the really good diapers cost about that much I am having a hard time grasping why it is such a great deal.

14. Mommy2PJ

quote:
    Originally posted by Marbear:
    I would consider CD if the darned diapers didn't cost so much. Does anyone know if there are cloth diapers that are easy to use (like the AIOS) that can be used the entire first year? It seems like such a waste to buy diapers in every size because with twins you have to buy twice as many diapers in the first place (unless you really like laundry). My son went through 12 or more a day, so I am thinking if I bought 25 cloth diapers I would still have to do the laundry every day (which costs money in water, electricity, detergent, and my labor) but then wouldn't I have to just buy a whole new set when they were 4 mos old due to size change? LIke I said, I'm not totally against, it, but I don't want to buy a whole bunch of different sizes because that cost adds up really quickly. You can get about 90 newborn diapers at target for $10, so considering some of the really good diapers cost about that much I am having a hard time grasping why it is such a great deal.

The kind I used called Bum Genius (www.cottonbabies.com) are great because they're a one size diaper - 6-30 pounds! You can adjust the rise on them, and they fasten with velcro, so it's perfect! They're like $17 per diaper, but you really only need about 12-15 diapers.

I used newborn sized pampers swaddlers and at $9.50/40 pack, we figured up that we were saving $50+ per month using cloth instead of disposables! Of course you don't have to buy pampers, but to this day, DS is almost 12 months and any sposie I put on him leaks! Not to mention, if you're going to have more kids, you still have the diapers, so after one child, the diapering is essentially free!

About DH's not being open to it.. tell them to just let you give it a shot! Buy two or three cloth diapers and have them try it and see what they think. My DH was pretty skeptical at first, but now, he is just as adament about using the cloth as me. He doesn't mind at all, and he complains when he has to use disposables!

15. lj20272

lj20272 Well-Known Member

First of all you may need to excuse some of my terminology. We call diapers nappies so I presume a few other words may be different.

I have been using disposables on the boys up until the last week only because cloth diapers looked so uncomfortable on them while they are so little.

In the meantime, I have purchased one fitted diaper, cut a pattern, and have been sewing my own fitted's. These are a great fit on the boys and I secure them easily with a "snappi" They are also cut so they are meant to last till around 2 years of age. They have ended up costing about $2 per fitted.

I also have a collection of towelling and flannelette square diapers.

The flannelette is quite good as its easy to fold and doesnt have the bulk of towelling.

16. Megos99

Megos99 Well-Known Member

Another great place to buy CD from is Claire de Loom

Her prices are reasonable and she offers a multiples discount.

17. Marbear

Can someone with experience please look at Bella Bottoms on ebay for me? They are about $8/diaper (I am emailing about a discount for twins) and are 8-40 lb diapers made by a SAHM. They look cute and well made, but what do I know. This is much more affordable than the $18 pop ones since I am thinking I would need 12 diapers per baby to only have to do the laundry once per day. Tell me if I am wrong on that. DS used about 12 diapers a day, I'm thinking twins would take 24. She had great feedback (100 percent). At $8/diaper it would probably be around $200 to get the amount I want and I wouldn't feel terrible if it didn't work out. After 2 mos they would have paid for themselves, so I think it is a risk worth taking. My sister CD my nephew the OLD TIMEY way and it sucked. This seems more doable.

Also, if I like CD...when they start solids I know there are disposable liners so you don' thave to scrape the real poo? Can't I just buy diaper flannel and make these myself by cutting rectangles? That way I can wash the pee ones and throw away the really gross poo ones. I have a very sensitive gag reflux with poo and vomit. Does anyone know a good place for the disposable liners?

Mary

18. Mommy2PJ

quote:
    Originally posted by Marbear:
    Can someone with experience please look at Bella Bottoms on ebay for me? They are about $8/diaper (I am emailing about a discount for twins) and are 8-40 lb diapers made by a SAHM. They look cute and well made, but what do I know. This is much more affordable than the $18 pop ones since I am thinking I would need 12 diapers per baby to only have to do the laundry once per day. Tell me if I am wrong on that. DS used about 12 diapers a day, I'm thinking twins would take 24. She had great feedback (100 percent). At $8/diaper it would probably be around $200 to get the amount I want and I wouldn't feel terrible if it didn't work out. After 2 mos they would have paid for themselves, so I think it is a risk worth taking. My sister CD my nephew the OLD TIMEY way and it sucked. This seems more doable.

Also, if I like CD...when they start solids I know there are disposable liners so you don' thave to scrape the real poo? Can't I just buy diaper flannel and make these myself by cutting rectangles? That way I can wash the pee ones and throw away the really gross poo ones. I have a very sensitive gag reflux with poo and vomit. Does anyone know a good place for the disposable liners?

Mary

I was spoiled with DS.. I had like 22 diapers in size small! That was ridiculously too many though, cause I like to wash every day to keep the smell down anyway. I'm planning to get 30 total for the twins - so 15 a piece, but you would be fine with 12 as long as you don't forget to wash every single night!

I just looked up the Bella Bottoms on e-bay... they look great, but they look like the kind that need a cover over them.. from what I gathered, I don't think they're a pocket diaper like fuzzi bunz and some of the others. But that's ok.. you'll just need several diaper covers. I'm just now getting ready to try this type with DS, but the type I bought a couple of are Kissaluvs contours.. they're even cheaper. I bought a Prowraps classic wrap to go with them. From what I've read, you only need one cover per 3-5 diapers, but I don't have much experience with that. I've heard the best cover is the Bummis Super Whisper Wrap.

As for the liners, I use the flushable ones made by imse vimse. If the baby doesn't poo on it, you can wash it and reuse it about 3-4 times before it gets too torn up. I really like them, but I know several people do just cut up fleece and use it for liners... although I don't know why, because the inside of most of the diapers are fleece, and you can just dump the poo off of those. Maybe there's another reason though, I'm not sure! [​IMG] If you want to look at the flushable ones, I by them from www.kidbean.com but several CD sites sell them.

HTH!

19. sitkamom

Megos99...

Do you know about the quality and ease of use of these compared to say fuzzibunz? I have about 15 fuzzibunz and was planning on buying more but these look pretty nice too. just checking. Thanks!

20. sitkamom

Megos99...the Claire de Loom diapers that is

21. Marbear

Every time I start this research into cloth diapering I end up wanting to bang my head against a wall. People use all this terminology and there are all these factors to take into consideration. You'd think something you put on a kid's butt to catch poo would not be so complex. UGH. I am not going to buy something I have to put a cover over...one too many steps, then that ups the cost. I'm not wanting to buy something in different sizes, either. If anybody knows of a one-size all in one let me know. Otherwise I guess we'll just be broke.

22. elle_elephant

elle_elephant New Member

Hi, im new to so excuse my ignorance.
    With my 2 year old Ben we used disposables, and never considered CD's.
    In was just wondering:
    1) Does it take extra time to change the babies using CD's? Is it just as easy?
    2) Is it still ok to use the same washing machine to wash clothes and diapers?
    3) Do you have to prepare the diapers before, eg if you were going out with the babies?

Thanks

- Elle

23. Mommy2PJ

quote:
    Originally posted by elle_elephant:
    Hi, im new to so excuse my ignorance.
    With my 2 year old Ben we used disposables, and never considered CD's.
    In was just wondering:
    1) Does it take extra time to change the babies using CD's? Is it just as easy?
    2) Is it still ok to use the same washing machine to wash clothes and diapers?
    3) Do you have to prepare the diapers before, eg if you were going out with the babies?

Thanks

- Elle

1) It takes a little extra time... a few seconds maybe, depending on which type of diaper you use. I use pocket diapers, so we have to pull the insert(s) out of the diaper and put them in the pail with the diaper. And if it's a poo diaper, we dump it in the toilet and flush. Other than that, it gets thrown in the pail just as a disposable would. We also use cloth wipes, so there's only one pail and nothing really gets thrown away. I'd say at the most it takes 5 seconds longer per diaper. [​IMG]

2) Yep! We use the same washing machine. We run a hot rinse cycle first and that dissolves any poo that may be left on the diaper (practically none if you use liners), then the wash cycle. I like to hang mine to dry, but most you can use the dryer for if you don't want to hang them. I just like to, I think they smell fresher!

3) you have to have the insert stuffed inside the diaper, but I do that with all of them when I pull them out of the dryer, so I just grab a few diapers and go. [​IMG]

You do have to have a wet bag or something to put the dirty ones in when you're out though. I used to use disposables any time I went out, but I kind of decided that was pointless, so now I use cloth all the time!

24. Megos99

Megos99 Well-Known Member

quote:
    Do you know about the quality and ease of use of these compared to say fuzzibunz? I have about 15 fuzzibunz and was planning on buying more but these look pretty nice too. just checking. Thanks!

I havent used the fuzzibunz personally, so I am checking into it for you to see how they compare. It is my sister-in-law that makes these and she is a SAHM and does this from home all by hand.

25. 807426

807426 Active Member

I am due in June and very seriously considering CD our twin boys. I have a couple of questions...

1. Has anyone found a specific brand of CD that works best for little boys?

2. What are our options when out running errands,etc? One poster mentioned have a wet bag. Is that what everyone does? And what about when traveling on vacation, etc?

Thanks so much.

Randi

26. Marbear

I took the plunge and ordered some small covers (6) that were unused off of ebay. I made some infant size diapers out of old towels/flannel (made from a prefold pattern on frugal baby) and will buy some store-bought since I ran out of material to recycle. We are going to try the prefolds with snappis under covers and take it from there. If we like cloth diapering we will take the plunge and buy nicer covers for the medium size. We don't want to invest a lot of money and feel obligated to do it even if we feel overwhelmed with the extra work. Anyway....I'm kind of excited to try it. Even if we only do it while they are exclusively breast fed (my goal fo rnow) it will save a good bit of money and keep me from running to the store every 3 days for diapers. I think we'll still do sposies on trips and at night, though.

27. Mommy2PJ

quote:
    Originally posted by 807426:
    I am due in June and very seriously considering CD our twin boys. I have a couple of questions...

1. Has anyone found a specific brand of CD that works best for little boys?

2. What are our options when out running errands,etc? One poster mentioned have a wet bag. Is that what everyone does? And what about when traveling on vacation, etc?

Thanks so much.

Randi

I don't know how much difference there is between boys and girls as far as which diapers work... but I have used fuzzi bunz, bum genius (my favorite!!) and lately I've been trying prefolds with Prowraps covers, and they all work great - no leaks! You just have to make sure you point his penis down in the diaper - any diaper, not just cloth!

As far as trips out, I think it was me that said the wet bag, but I know some people also take a plastic wal-mart type bag and use that. I just prefer the wet bag cause you dump the diapers and throw it right into the washer with them!

When we go on trips or vacation, it depends if we have a washing machine available or not. I have used disposables for the week (and DS NEVER fails to get a diaper rash from the dumb things) but I try to bring my cloth anywhere I go.

HTH

28. Fay

Fay Well-Known Member

i don't think any diaper is better for one gender than another. with pockets, there are a million ways to customize absorbency if your boy or girl needs it in a specific place.

i have boys, and happy heiny's were great. i also use bumkins (at daycare), prefolds, and a hodgepodge of other diapers i've come across. some i love (Olive Branch Baby Marathon pockets) others are just okay (kissaluvs). but that's just me.

for errands i use cloth diapers too. i take a wetbag or a grocery sack and just bring wet diapers home. it doesn't have to be all or nothing. you can always choose disposables during trips if it works best for your family.

when we evacuated for Rita, i used disposables but first I washed all my Happy Heinys so I could evacuate them with us! [​IMG]

29. Aurie

Aurie Well-Known Member

Which ones do not require a diaper cover? I have a simple mind [​IMG] I just want the diaper (with snaps or velcro) and inserts. Can the one size fits all really last? I think it is Bumgenius that are this way? If it really does, that seems like the best deal as you don't have to buy so many in different sizes.

30. Mommy2PJ

Fuzzi Bunz, Bum Genius, and Happy Heinys are the main brands that don't require a cover. There are several others, mostly made by WAHMs and I haven't tried them.

BumGenius are the one size. My son is about 22-23 pounds and the BG still fit him on the medium size! In my opinion, they really are the best for the money you pay... I had him in fuzzi bunz when he was real small, so I'm not sure how they do on the small end, but since he's been about 14 lbs or so he's been in the BG and we love them!

31. 807426

807426 Active Member

Would the One Size Bumgenius last the longest? At what point could you being using them? I am wondering would the babies be too small at first to use a One Size.

32. Mommy2PJ

quote:
    Originally posted by 807426:
    Would the One Size Bumgenius last the longest? At what point could you being using them? I am wondering would the babies be too small at first to use a One Size.

IMO the BG do last the longest. DS didn't start wearing them until he was like 15 lbs or so - we hadn't discovered them yet, so he wore fuzzi bunz before that. The BG say 8-35 pounds I believe, so they would be too big for awhile. The fuzzi bunz I think say 6 or 7 pounds and they were huge on DS even when he was over 7 pounds. But they do sell a preemie size, so I'm thinking of getting some of those for the twins. I'm assuming the BG will be too big for a couple months, considering that they'll probably be small/early.

33. Marbear

Wait...bum genius sells AIOs that are also one size? Can you provide a link? I didn' tthink there was such a thing.

34. Mommy2PJ

No - sorry. They sell 4 different sizes of AIOs and a pocket dipe that is one size. Sorry for the confusion! [​IMG]

35. Laura in Alaska

In my researching CD, I did find an AIO that is One-Size. Obviously, I can't vouch for the quality because I haven't tried them yet. But we're planning on buying a set of them to see. And they're inexpensive compared to the others. They're 10.50 each I think, but it's a Canadian company...so if you're paying in US $ they're about $9.40 each. The link is below.

Baby Love AIO One-Size Diapers

Has anyone tried these yet??

Laura