First bike - how old?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by monica77, Nov 15, 2013.

1. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

Hi,

So Christmas is coming and we are thinking to get Vanessa and Max real bikes. They are 3 and 2 months and they are really good on their balance bikes that they have since last Christmas. The truth is they are outgrowing their balance bikes - they are really tall for their age and we think they would have no problem riding a real bike, without training wheels.

We thought it was a great idea, but my father in law says we should wait - they are too young for bikes. What do you guys think? Are they ready for bikes? They ride their balance bikes, and power wheels cars through the neighborhood and they know they shouldn't ride on the street. Of course, they can't fall out of the cars, so now I am not sure what to do anymore. Please let me know what you think.

How old were your kids when they got their first bike? And how was it? Did they listen when you told them to stop and wait?

Thank you,

Monica

2. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Good question! I was adamant about getting balance bikes(thanks TS), but never found the time to help them with them(I had their sister 19 mths later and then I watched a fourth child). Soooo....this past summer they did decent on the bikes.

They just turned 6 and they don't have regular bikes. Dh says they should pick out their first bikes(in the spring) and then we upgrade to a bigger one at Christmas some time. But I don't know. I think it's a great Christmas gift! Lol!

Let us know what you decide!

3. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My boys got theirs for their birthdays last year (December) and we have a heater in the garage so they rode all winter.  We took the training wheels off this August...they just decided one day they wanted to ride without them and that was that.  They never had balance bikes..and they still ride their trikes in the house.  My daughter is getting hers from grandma/grandpa this Christmas but I have no doubt she will be on the training wheels forever..she just isn't as physical as my boys:)

4. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We got the girls balance bikes at 4 and pedal bikes at 5. I wish we had started younger - I just assumed they "couldn't". This summer we started participating in a local outdoor playgroup and there were 3 & 4 year olds (and one 2.5 year old) that were confident and competent on pedal bikes. It was really cool to watch. Most of them had started on balance bikes between 18-24 months. I think you should absolutely do it! Just decide on and introduce the ground rules for safety from day 1. Kids are smart and capable when we don't underestimate them. :)

5. tarcoulis

tarcoulis Well-Known Member

They were 3 when they got regular bikes with training wheels.  We took the training wheels off a year later and it took about 20 mins for them to figure out how to ride tight circles around the garage, stop, start etc without falling off.  Never had balance bikes.

6. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My DD was 5 when she got her bike with training wheels.  My son will be 6 when he gets his.  I tried to get my DH on board with balance bikes and he wouldn't go for it (I still wish he had).  We got the kids tricycles when they were 3.

7. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

My kids got bikes with training wheels for their 3rd birthday, but only because DH's mom bought them for them without asking us.  I would have waited another year.  They had some trouble learning to pedal, but we are getting there slowly.  We only let them ride in safe places - like the park.  No way would they stop and be safe on the road yet.  And honestly, now they are almost too big for those bikes, so we're going to have to buy them a new one in the spring.  So yeah, I would have waited until 4-4.5 to get them if it was me.

8. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

My kids got 12" bikes with trainning wheels around 3. Now, they can bike so fast. They love biking. They can bike 2 miles/day. I think my boy is ready for no trainning wheels. But I haven't taken them off yet.

They got tricycles around 2. Balance bikes before 3. But they don't use much balance bikes. They love their 12" bikes. And biking is a good excerise for kids. We usually go to parks. They bike and I run behind them. Good for the family! I would get them for your kids. If u worry they will outgrow so fast, you can get some used on local Craigslist. Gl!

9. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

Our got bikes without training wheels for their 4th birthday and did really well from the beginning.

They had balance bikes since their 2nd birthday and might have been ready for proper bikes earlier but we live in a pretty hilly area so we did not want them frustrated (not being able to go uphill) or anxious (not being able to brake going downhill). We had worked on general discipline like staying on the sidewalk, waiting for cars, stopping the moment we yell etc. from the beginning with their balance bikes - as long as they were not too fast yet and a balance bikes is easier to take away and carry as a consequence for not listening or not following safety rules. The same rules just continued to apply on the real bikes, that was no problem for us.

10. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

We got the kids bikes with training wheels for their 3rd birthday.  They have used them a lot.  DS learned how to ride a bike without training wheels around 5 years old and DD still has her training wheels on.

11. Daneshka

Daneshka Active Member

Almost from the birth of my son, I gave up the stroller. I used a sling or when he grew up and learned to sit, we took walks to the local park on our family bike. Also, this device is very convenient when shopping, because there is really enough space to put everything I need. In general, I had an idea to buy such bike when I saw them here https://ferlafamilybikes.com/collections/cargo-bikes , but then my friend talked me out of buying it, she said that these bicycles are more suitable for parents with two or more children, that such a bike isn't designed for only one child and it would be unsafe, but I decided to take the risk and don't regret it. drops. This is really my best purchase since this spring, although I didn't find any showroom in my town, it was a completely risky online purchase.

12. ianwhitew

ianwhitew New Member

I got my license when I was 22. In general, I love driving . But since I was a child, I've been dreaming about riding a motorcycle. Of course, a car is much more comfortable and promising than a motorcycle. But recently, my husband and I went on a vacation together. We hadn't travelled anywhere in so long because of that damn pandemic. We finally got the chance to visit another country, and we chose Colombia. And that's when I remembered my long-cherished dream. I saw the motorcycle rentals on https://riderly.com/blog/renting-motorcycle-in-medellin-colombia/ . These guys picked up a very nice motorcycle for me, which didn't cost me too much suprisingly. I am so thrilled because I could ride my bike and see many places in this beautiful country!