formula feeders: i have a question about bottle size

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by tammygb, Jul 20, 2007.

1. tammygb

tammygb Well-Known Member

(i'm visiting from expecting)
    is there really a reason to buy the 4 oz size bottles, or can i get away with just buying the 8 oz size? i know that in a matter of months the twins will be taking more than 4 oz at a feeding. but while they're taking 2 or 3 oz at a time, is it a problem to use the larger size bottles for just that amount of liquid.

i'll be getting dr. browns, to cut down on gas.

thanks.

2. becky5

becky5 Guest

If you are trying to save money, I would just buy the bigger size bottles. I did have a few 4oz, but quickly went up to the 8.

3. vweaver

vweaver Well-Known Member

You can definitely just buy the 8oz bottles. The only reason I used the 4 oz bottles was because someone passed them down to me. The 8 oz bottle will look big next to your newborn but very quickly they will be using it. Vicki

4. twomore

twomore Well-Known Member

I had some 6 oz bottles that I hardly ever used, always used the 8 oz, should be no problem at all.

5. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

I bought the 6 oz. bottles because I didn't know any better. We used those for the first 6 or 7 months then went up to the 8 oz. size. But I know some babies have gone up in ounces much quicker than my girls did. Just make sure if you buy the 8 oz. bottles that you also get a newborn nipple. I believe the 8 oz. Playtex Vent Aire come with the Stage 2 nipple which is too fast a flow for a newborn.

6. CHJH

CHJH Well-Known Member

The 4 oz size is useless - just skip them. You only use them for a month or so. I suggest Gerber Gentle Flow - they're just like the Avent bottles but they're made of "safe" plastic.

7. ErickaK

ErickaK Well-Known Member

We had a few 4oz (really 5oz) Gerber bottles. We used them for probably 3 months or little more. Will be using them again for the twins since I have them. Also don't just stick to one kind because you like the idea behind it, babies don't always like the nipples that come with different bottles. My DS would only take latex ones and couldn't learn to suck on silicone one at all, just within the last 2 months has he adjusted to silicone for at least his podee bottle.

8. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

Yeah...I went and bought 18 4 oz. bottles and we used them for maybe two months before we had to go out and buy all new 8 oz. bottles. So I guess you could easily skip the smaller bottles. It will just look funny to have 2 oz. of formula (which is what I recall making that first week) in a big ol' bottle!!!

9. akameme

akameme Well-Known Member TS Moderator

i guess we are odd people out, we are still using 4 oz bottles for Jake (at almost 7 months). He eats all the time, but generally doesn't take more than 4-5 ounces in a feeding.

We also used the 2 oz NICU bottles a ton when the babies were very little. Maybe we are doing it wrong...?

Miriam

10. Britten

Britten Well-Known Member

We use the Playtex drop-ins, which I really like but they are already taking 4 ounces and it's just easier to use the bigger bottles and liners....and they are only 7 weeks.

Dr. Browns are a little pricey....I would definitely just buy the larger ones in order to save $$$$.

11. reeba1976

reeba1976 Well-Known Member

Save your time and $$, buy the 8 oz bottles. We used the 4 ounce bottles for a little while but quickly moved to 8 oz bottles. We now use the 4 ounce bottles if the guys need a snack bottle.

12. first_second_and_last

first_second_and_last Well-Known Member

First time parents here - we bought the 4 oz bottles and used them for just a few months before we switched to the bigger bottles. I just gave mine away to a mom with a newborn. They are a waste of money, IMO.

13. RondaJo

RondaJo Well-Known Member

We just now switched to using 8 oz bottles. The only reason is because the kind that one DD uses doesn't have a line for 6 oz, otherwise I would still be using the smaller ones. It really is what you would prefer. I didn't want to have a big huge bottle for only 2-3 oz, which is what the girls were taking for quite awhile. We had about 20 smaller bottles and we only have 6 8 oz bottles, 3 for each. It works out well for us.