Growth Chart

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by w101ttd, Jul 15, 2010.

1. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

When did your twins catch up ( at least 50%) on regular growth chart? Myine were born at 32 weeks (4lbs 2-3oz). They are 3.5 months old (1.5 adjusted). They are 12.5 and 13 lbs. They got on regular growth chart, but still in 30-40 percentiles range. It bothers me when ppl keep saying 'they are small b/c they/re premature.'So how big were your twins at 3 months old? and when did they get at least 50 percentiles on growth chart? thanksss!

2. janicecris

janicecris Active Member

My DD was 4.6 lbs when born at 36 wks 5 days. She was 12lbs 12ox at 3 mos, 30th percentile. My pedi wasn't worried abt it and he said as long as she's gaining reasonable weight, she's ok. :D

Mine will have their 6 month visit tom so we'll find out then!

3. mandywellman

mandywellman Well-Known Member

Not sure if this helps...My girls were born at 35 weeks and 2 days weighing (a) 5.4 and (b)5.11. They are now 3 months and two weeks and at their 3 month check up (a) was 12.8 and (b) was 11.12. They told me (a) was 60 percentile and they told me (b) was 50 percentile. I dont think your babies are too small at all - I think those are good weights!!!

4. haleystar

haleystar Well-Known Member

My boys were born at 35 weeks and were 4lbs 14oz and 4lbs 15oz and have routinely been under 30th percentile for weight since their first check up. I believe at their last check-up they were just about 20-21lbs and were showing about 25th percentile on the weight chart but are in the 95th percentile for height. So I think every baby is different and will progress at a different rate. I think I was told that at 6 months they were no longer considered "preemies" and no longer had an adjusted age but don't quote me on that because I can't remember exactly.

They sound like they are doing great!! :D

5. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

Your babies will only reach what percentile they are programmed to be, and a lot of that is due to genetics. All the 30th percentile means is that if they took 100 three month old babies, 30 would be smaller and 70 would be larger than your babies. Some babies will never hit the 50th percentile regardless of whether they are premature, and that is okay. What is more important than which percentile they are on is whether they follow a smooth line on the growth curve and grow at the same rate between each visit. Preemies usually make rapid catch up growth in the first 3 months and then slow down. In my experience (I'm a pediatrician) most preemies that started at 30 weeks and later will hit where they are expected to be on the curve by the time they are about 6 months old.

My twins were born at 37 weeks and were 7 lb 12 oz and 5 lb 6 oz. At 4 months, the smaller one was still only 12 lbs. Neither of them have ever hit the 50th percentile for weight. Their daddy is tall and has a thin frame. My DD is 97th percentile for height and 25th for weight....genetics. DS is 50th for height and 3rd for weight...again, genetics.

Yours have more than tripled their birth weight in 3 months. At 12 months DS just barely tripled his and DD still hasn't. Anyone who says they are small needs to mind their own business. I would tell anyone who comments that A) all babies look small (I see a newborn now who is the size mine were and I think that they seem tiny) and B) they are growing quite well and are larger than 30% of non preemies.

1 person likes this.
  6. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

what she said. my girls (born at 34w1d) are over two & still aren't anywhere near the 50% - they've both hovered around 10%, but they've both been growing and that's fine. as i understand it, it's a sudden & drastic change from one percentile to another (either up or down) that would be concerning. so, if your baby was usually around 40% and then dropped off the chart that would be a problem.

7. 5280babies

5280babies Well-Known Member

Mine are 16 months and still charted at "less than 3rd percentile" for weight, we just got to 10th percentile and 25th percentile on height. I only tell you this because they have maintained their personal growth curves and are very active little girls, the Doctor not worried in the least. I know I was a tiny baby (and I am not a tiny person) and genetics plays a part. I wouldn't worry. I hear ya on the comments. We have been walking for quite a while and people never believe they are 16 mos. I used to get very very annoyed but I have learned with time to get over it. People don't think. :)