Healthy play food?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Trishandthegirls, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

I am in the process of getting my girls a play kitchen and I'd like to give them some play food to go along with this. However, all of the play food sets I can find are filled with pizza, ice cream, hamburgers, etc. We don't eat a ton of that in our house so I'd prefer to find a food set that has more fruits, vegetables, beans, etc. Has anyone found one? I know I could go out and buy nice wooden food items from Haba, but I'm hoping not to spend two hundred dollars on play food!

2. frickandfrack

frickandfrack Well-Known Member

I got a basket of plastic fruit and veggies at Walmart for less than $5.

3. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

We have something like this:

http://www.gatortots.com/item_178/Fruit-Velcro-Play-Food.htm

The sections of fruit velcro together, and you can "cut" them with the knife. It's brilliant. It's been a hit since Nadia was very small, and she still plays with it.

I wish I could find the exact set we have, but maybe they don't make it anymore -- it has fruits AND vegetables, and comes in a cute basket, too.

4. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

ETA -- we also have some wooden food from Melissa & Doug, but I don't recommend it for little ones. It's really heavy, and Karina likes to throw things, so she's hit Kevan in the head several times -- not good!

5. li li

li li Well-Known Member

could you and your girls make some from fimo (not sure what it's called in the usa, but it's colored modelling clay which you bake to set and then it's fairly robust)?

6. 2plusbgtwins

2plusbgtwins Well-Known Member

I also bought a basket of play food from Walmart, and it had mainly fruits/vegetables, and also had little cardboard put-togethers for juice box and ice cream containers, etc. I think they were $4.99. The baskets arent very sturdy so I have a large Rubbermaid container for the food, but we've had the food since last Christmas.

7. anicosia

anicosia Well-Known Member

I ditto the plastic baskets from Wal Mart. We have a ton of plastic grapes, oranges, bananas, canned veggies, etc floating around in our playroom right now. Two of the little shopping baskets have been great. Plenty of play food and the baskets are used to "shop" and clean up the room.

8. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

Do you have a teacher supply store near you? Often times, they have kits of the food groups, and there are lots of healthier options in those kits. Melissa & Doug also make some nice wooden ones, but mine used to throw them and they made me cringe.

9. Oneplus2more

Oneplus2more Well-Known Member

We also have some fruits and veggies that velcro together. They came form World Market but the one near us doesn't have them anymore. (my girls love them so much I went back to buy a second set) You could buy a set of playfood and then just take out the stuff you don't want them to have before you give it to them ;)

10. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

There are some nice Melissa and Doug wooden ones that aren't too expensive. But I agree that they are too heavy for kids who are still in the hit-each-other-in-the-head stage.

We also have a lot of the plastic velcro food, and they greatly prefer those. (I just wish they came with 2 "knives"!) We must have the Gatortots version (either that, or they all have the same peas and the same onions :D ), but it looks like they've added some new pieces since we bought ours. They started playing with that at about 18 months and still love it at almost 3.

11. Shree

Shree New Member

Hi All,

Found this cool fun video made by twins. Check out their trailer:

Twins Toys Review

12. Shree

Shree New Member

Check this pretend play - cooking and serving by twins: