Homework routines and rules

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by FGMH, Sep 29, 2015.

1. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

Our twins are in 1st grade now and for the first time they have proper homework. Elementary school is usually half-day here and they have a lot of homework, at least I think so. Half an hour minimum plus reading to me, but just doing the worksheets can take closer to one and a half hours, especially for my son who is a very diligent but slower worker and often also has to finish classroom work at home. They are in separate classrooms and have similar homework, although some of it can be identical over the course of the week.

I try to have them do their homework after lunch as soon as I have settled our baby boy for his nap. They both sit with me at the large dining room table and are supposed to work silently (except for necessary questions or reading to me). But I find they are often more interested in the other one's work than in their own, or start comparing and talking etc. Sometimes I think they are too tired and would need some downtime, fresh air, exercise but nap time is the only quiet time I have for them and we have quite a few activities in the afternoons and I want homework done before that.

I would like to hear when your elementary school kids do homework and whether you have any rules or routines to make it easier.

2. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Half days? Lucky! Well, kinda I suppose lol! My kids come home from school at 3:15 pm. Monday we have CCD at 4:15; soccer until 6:30, soccer Tuesday 5:30-6:30, Wednesday's are free, Thursday soccer from 5-6:30, Friday soccer from 5-7 and then weekends are soccer too. 

SO! They really don't have much of a choice but to do it when they get home. Monday they generally don't because we leave shortly after getting off the bus. When they get home, they empty out their back packs and their lunches and folders. I then let them have a snack of some sort, and then they have to do their homework. For my boys(2nd grade), it's only one worksheet, plus 15 minutes of reading/night. I don't even worry about the reading, because they usually are reading on the way to practice, etc. 

No set rules or routines per se. If they are unable to get it done before we are off to the races, they work on it when we get home while dinner is being prepared. Annabella doesn't have homework as of yet. I think once she does, she will be the hardest(first grade) of the three to actually get it done. 

3. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Our homework seems insane! We have math flash cards they practice nightly (were horrible about it:/) along with playing "games" that involve us for math. They have to choose 5 of the 9 to do over course Of week. They also have vocab hw which involves flash cards and some worksheets. It all involves our help and I'm kinda wishing they would just send a paper home for them to do and me to check:-0

As it is we try to do it over the weekend and then just do flash cards throughout week

4. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Mine go through periods when they absolutely cannot sit together and do their work independently... especially if its the same assignment.  They are super competitive and they end of comparing who finished what question first.  Sometimes I will separate them to work independently in different rooms (and go back and forth to check on them), or let one read while I help the other, and then switch.  

Do the teachers have a guideline for how much time it should take them to finish their worksheets?  I've been "that parent" who cuts my girls off if its taking them too long and then sends an email to the teacher explaining why its not done. 

5. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

I've had to separate my two to get the one to do his work properly.  We do homework first thing when they get home from school.  

6. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We usually do homework when we get home from school.  One days where there is something after school, we will have dinner first and then do homework but if we are coming right home after school the kids get changed out of their uniforms and we get it done.
    Mine are in second grade and they usually have reading, math, religion, grammar, vocab/spelling every night.  First grade was similar. Mine had the same work when they were in separate classes last year and have the same this year.  Usually I have one do the work they can do on their own while I do studying with the other and then we switch it up, so they are not doing the same thing at the same time and there is less of chance of them distracting each other.

7. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

It's great for my kids but I am a SAHM at the moment. It's close to insane if both parents work because supplementary daycare is very difficult to find.

8. mama_dragon

mama_dragon Well-Known Member

I am so thankful we just having reading log and spelling.  We usually do it after dinner.  Some nights we have activities and they need downtime to just play and be kids.  They do a lot better focusing if they have playtime first.  They do spelling together and reading is sometimes in the same room and sometimes not depending on the time we have.  My stronger reader can read on his own while I work with the other but I like to also have the stronger reader read to me so I am sure they are getting some of the bigger words correct.  I don't really consider reading homework and spelling just takes 5 minutes. Their teacher does not believe in sending other work home unless they don't finish something at school because they were messing around.  I dread next year when they switch schools and have actual homework. 

9. kinak402

kinak402 Member

Wonder how!! But my son does all his homework all by himself!!!

10. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Homework is done as soon as they've eaten their snack after they get home from school. All homework has to be done before playtime. Consistency is key. One child normally needs more help than the other. One generally has more homework than the other. My twins are in 5th grade and are 10.

11. LilaLevering

LilaLevering New Member

Even though my kids go to a Day Care, they get also get homework in the form of activities such as puzzles or such kinds of activity sheets, I think it helps children to memorize whatever they have learnt in school.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2016
  12. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Homework is a nightmare here!

They get a page of math, some cursive, then some spelling exercises due once a week, and writing due once a week... When they get home they complain that they're hungry (they barely touch their lunch, I don't get it), so they finish their lunch (haven't got sick yet... somehow), but end up playing and I have to tell them 10 times to get their homework done... then they distract each other or my daughter has a meltdown over it and it ends up in tears half the time because sure, I'll help, but I won't do her homework for her.

I often end up having to make dinner and they're still not done (we're home at 3.45pm). I honestly don't know how working parents do it. Half the time they lose their writing or spelling menus too, they never show me what they have to make me sign unless I remind them... heck my son never does his writing properly (or lies about doing it) and often has to do it all over again... GAH.

They just turned 8, they're in 2nd grade.. I was way more responsible at that age. So frustrating. I love Fridays because NO HOMEWORK.

13. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I am not a fan of homework, as busy work or whatever. I can understand the occasional 'didn't get it completed in the time they had so it's being sent home to finish' or special projects or book report. However, in my opinion as a very busy full time working parent evenings are MY time-I'm not a teacher and I only see my children for a few hours a night, I shouldn't have to spend most of it stressed out trying to force my 3 kids to do their homework that they (most of the time) need help with. Plus, they've been in school for 8 hours they want to play, or do extracurricular activities-that's our family time.
    We do it-but I don't like it-and neither do they.
    We try to get it done and over with the minute we get home from work and after school care.
    I will say my 6th grader is good about going to her room and getting it completed on her own without much of an arguement.
    My 2nd graders fight through it every single day.

2xjoy likes this.
  14. 2xjoy

2xjoy Well-Known Member

My girls are also in first grade and will turn 6 in just a week!!
    I feel like the amount of homework they do us a bit too much for their age. Also one twin finds it more of a chore than the other.
    If we don't have after school activities or sports, we generally have afternoon tea when we get home for 10 mins then straight into homework. They usually have 2 worksheets for the week, a reader and sight words to practice. Twin 1 will do hers in one session with not too much help, Twin 2 needs lots more guidance to keep her on track and work things out.
    I do feel bad for her sometimes as she is my early riser and by the afternoon is just over it sometimes.
    If we have something on straight after school, we will try and fit homework in somewhere between baths and dinner or in the morning or make it up the next afternoon.

15. Chloe Snodgrass

Chloe Snodgrass New Member

My kids aren't really asked anything special, but how long do they sit on their homework...

16. JeremyDenton

JeremyDenton Member

Homework is the most unloved part of my son's education. Watching these torments, especially in writing, I found a website with a large database https://freebooksummary.com/critical-analysis-the-facebook-sonnet-essay of book essays. They used a critical analysis of the Facebook sonnet. The author focused his attention on excessive use of social networks. I agree with him because children are now as much immersed in their gadgets and communication with each other as possible. I control what my son would do his homework right after coming from school, as he still has fresh knowledge in this subject.

17. BillShiphr

BillShiphr Well-Known Member

Hello, Dear! I have such problems with my daughter too, but I found a solution. My friend told me about the best dissertation help and I asked them for help in doing the homework. It is very convenient because they are not just do all the work, but also explain the main topic and aspects. No more words, just check it!

18. fara2

fara2 Active Member

Yes, especially if you are a student and you still have a job. There is no time for homework

19. laraa

laraa Member

I also often lack time for homework. If I do not have time to cope with the work yourself, I appeal to help professional authors https://homeworkdoer.ca . Home tasks are carried out taking into account the requirements of the teacher and the wishes of the customer.

20. Kessedi

Kessedi Well-Known Member

You are right, many students perceive homework as a boring routine. Personally, I am studying to become a lawyer and I am also not interested in writing academic papers at all. I plan to become a lawyer and I am interested in studying the laws and going to practical classes. Now I use the law essay writing service and it effectively helps me to reduce the amount of boring paperwork.