How do I get her to go independently to the toilet at night

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by mom2gc, Apr 16, 2015.

1. mom2gc

mom2gc Well-Known Member

My daughter wakes up at least once a night to use the toilet.  We do have a night light in the passage ( her door stays open)  just outside her door and a motion detecting night light in the bathroom. She will call me or her dad to go with her to use the bathroom.  How do I teach her to go on her own or will this only come with age? She will be 5 in July.  I wish for a full night's sleep. (As you know from an earlier post her brother is a total different story, no change there)

2. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I know it took some time for both of my kids to get comfortable with going alone at night.  It was something that happened over time.
    Since she is almost 5, maybe you could work on some kind of sticker chart for her...each time she goes alone at night without waking you or your husband, she earns a sticker and after earning so many stickers she earn some type of reward.

1 person likes this.
  3. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My one DS would do this as well. Finally my DH said something to him about "you know you don't have to tell us your going potty but it's ok if you want to". He did come in a little bit after that but then one night DH was so out of it sleepy (& I hardly hear them anymore come in the room) that he said ok then asked for a kiss and rolled over. He went potty and back to bed by himself and kind of has since lol. He might come in but we usually kiss him and he goes on his own. Maybe she just needs to know she can do it alone but can come to you if she wants?! I don't know, I think it's a maturity thing too;)

4. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

I wish I could help you, but my 8 year old still comes in to let me know she went to the bathroom.  I long for one night of uninterrupted sleep... oh well.

5. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

My kids just finally will do this now and they were 5 in December.  I just kept reminding them they didn't need to tell me or wake me to go at night and eventually it sunk in.

6. mom2gc

mom2gc Well-Known Member

Thank you. I will try the " you don't have to tell us" and see how it goes.  At least she only wakes up once during the night.

7. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

This morning for the first time ever my 3yo screamed out... she had to go potty.

This thread jinxed me.

8. mom2gc

mom2gc Well-Known Member

Oh no!  No luck on this side yet  :nea:.  Hope it was just a once off.

9. KamaMoca

KamaMoca Member

A 12 bore would knock me off my feel so maybe ground cover would be a better option. Do you have any suggestions that I could use in a veggie patch diggernotdreamer?