Lapband - I have been struggling with my weight, ever since college and after having big twins

Discussion in 'General' started by MNTwinSquared, Mar 8, 2016.

1. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

I have been struggling with my weight, ever since college and especially after having big twins! Being older, and having twins who didn't sleep much, even though I breastfed, the weight didn't 'melt' off. I was down below 200 lbs before I got pregnant with Evan, my 10 lb baby. I haven't gone below 225 since.

I have done atkins (low carb) and it works... for a while. I lost about 30 lbs last time, but then I plateau, and even though I stay strict, nothing else comes off. THEN after no progress after 5+ more months, I give up. I then gain back more than what I lost in the first place. I don't binge eat. I don't gorge myself. I don't chow down on sugary sweets. When I work, (most days) I reach my step/activity goal by noon! During the last time I 'dieted,' I walked on the treadmill and did calorie counting to try to get off that plateau. Nothing worked.

At my physical last week, I mentioned all this to my doctor. She recommended surgery. Lapband.

Has anyone had this done? My feet hurt. I have had bunion issues in the past and I am prone to plantar fasciitis. I know getting the weight off would help my feet from aching.

Advice? Please!

2. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Jackie, I don't know much about the lapband myself. I hope someone who has had it comes on with their experience for you. I wish you the best of luck!

MNTwinSquared likes this.
  3. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I don't know that much about the lapband, but have you tried to do a whole30? I know people who have done it have had help with it making plantar fasciitis.

4. Thomas

Thomas Member

I'm part of an intermittent fasting group and quite a few women are having much success with it even without exercise.

You basically skip breakfast and eat a majority of your food within a 8-hour window.

It allows you to eat a bigger lunch or dinner which help satisfy cravings quite well, something to look into.

5. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Cutting calories is the only real way I know of losing weight. Similar to the fasting that Thomas mentioned. Only I think the best meal to skip or cut WAY back on is dinner. I drink a protein shake for breakfast, eat an apple, cheese square and a kashi bar for lunch and then eat a child size portion of whatever is for dinner...drink lots of water and cut soda and extra snacks/sugar completely. It's a huge lifestyle change.
    Lapband is a major surgery but if you feel you've tried everything then I'd look into it-I do know there is a lot of training that goes into it beforehand to prepare your body/mind. *hugs*

6. MNTwinSquared

I talked to my insurance plan and they sent me a criteria in which it would be covered. I know the doctor is the one who sent the referral in and said she'd work with me. I don't know if I'd qualify, even with the size I am. I get so hungry during my work days. Other days it seems I can just skip meals. I'm just so frustrated with how bad my feet hurt. I cannot really exercise because they hurt. I have no access to a pool. I try to bike during the summer... I always try to do that more. Hard with three kids and no one to watch them. The youngest can barely do training wheels still.

Thanks for the input!

7. Thomas

Thomas Member

Have you ever tried Keto? I had great results with it, it really helps with appetite control.

I got a bit down and depressed lately and started binge eating almost twice the amount of food i should eat on a daily basis.

I eventually swapped to keto to control my appetite and worked really well.

Exercise helps but its not always needed.

8. geoff

geoff New Member

my wife had the lapband surgery prior to having twins she lost some weight but not as much as she expected. she also had a lot of issues with it and ended up having it removed and a gastric sleeve put in instead which has worked amazingly. This was put in after the twins were born.

9. lharrison1

Thomas-what is Keto? Where do you get it?

Geoff-I'm glad to hear your wife is having success with the gastric sleeve.

Jackie-what did you hear from the doctor about your referral? *hugs* it's so hard to feel like exercising when you are in pain...it's a vicious cycle, I know.

10. MNTwinSquared

Long time, no update. Sorry.

The insurance company requires 6 months of documented 'weight loss programming.' So, basically I have to have 6 months documented. What the doctor said then, is that I will have monthly appts. with her, under her guidance to try to lose weight. IF after 6 months it fails, then I should qualify.
    So, she recommends the Paleo diet. Basically eating what a caveman would eat. No processed food, no dairy, no sugar. It's atkins on steroids!!! It's a 21 day program to get the sugar out of your diet and then the theory is that your body will start burning the fat and not the sugar after those 21 days. She recommended a book (Practical Paleo) which I ordered immediately. I just got it in the mail today. I am on day 17 of my 21 day program in theory. I didn't know the rules, but (for the most part) have been eating non-processed food. I didn't think that cheese was processed, but now am having a 'duh' moment. I haven't been perfect, but I've been very good. I suspect that it will take more than the 21 days to get it out of my system because of a bite here and there.

What I absolutely detest is making a different meal for myself than the rest of the family. Of course, I could make the rest of the family eat what I'm eating, but that's hard too!!! Considering all the sugary stuff in this house, I'm a rock star!!!

So, now you're wondering. Have you lost any weight? Well, the first scale I had broke. So, I bought a new one. IF I use the starting weight (off the original scale) and the weight on my current (digital) one, I've lost 20.4 lbs. BUT (there is ALWAYS a but)... according to the doctor I have only lost 13 lbs. (I don't think they made me take my shoes off the first time I got weighed a month ago.)

I won't lie, I am disappointed that I have only lost 13 lbs according to the doctor in the 5 weeks since my first appt. I thought it was quite a bit more. I know you don't want to lose too much too fast, but I'm a wee bit anxious for this to be successful.

Thanks for your support!

funny sidenote: When I took my shoes off per the nurse's request, I made a joke about my weight being less because I don't have my shoes on. My son, Clayton, (too) quickly stated: "Well, maybe you gained weight!" (Bite your tongue.. I'm not eating like this to gain!)

11. lharrison1

Keep it up Jackie! You'll see a difference really soon!

12. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Way to go Jackie!