Need advice please

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Jmarie1228, May 17, 2016.

1. Jmarie1228

Jmarie1228 New Member

Hi everyone, sorry about how long my post is, I needed to explain the situation. I am very concerned about the level of care my son's girlfriend got from her OBGYN. I will just put it out there first that both my son and his girlfriend are 16 years old. We found out in December that she was pregnant, took her to get her first ultrasound to confirm her pregnancy and found out at that point that she was pregnant with twins! Her mom decided she should see their family OBGYN. She was roughly 8 weeks at the ultrasound and her first doctor appointment got scheduled for February, putting her around 13 weeks I believe, she met with the nurse but didn't actually get to have an appointment with Doctor until 17 weeks. She had an ultrasound at that appointment, her next appointment was scheduled for 23 weeks, no ultrasound done, next appointment plus ultrasound done at 29 weeks. I was already concerned because I felt like with twins she should have been going in a lot more for monitoring but her mom took her to her appointments, I didn't have much say. Anyway, she went into labor on Saturday morning and had the babies at 30 weeks, 3 days after doctor appointment and I found out after babies were born that not one time at her appointments did they check her cervix to make sure she wasn't dilating! Babies yare healthy (3lbs 10oz, 3lbs 8oz) but I really feel like if the doctor would have checked her cervix he might have been able to stop the labor. What are your thoughts?!?!?!?

2. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm honestly surprised (like you) that she was not monitored more often. Typically with a multiple pregnancy there are more tests done because of the many complications that can arise during the pregnancy. I'm so glad to hear the babies are okay-being born at 30 weeks is very early. I was put on strict bed rest after a 3 day hospital stay at 31 weeks for preterm labor in addition to medication to stop contractions.
    Congratulations to you and your family. Please continue to let us know how they are doing and feel free to reach out to us here on advice during their first year.

3. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree with Lesley, I am surprised not more monitoring was done with her pregnancy. Typically a multiples pregnancy is highly monitored because of the many complications that can arise during pregnancy. I am glad that the babies are healthy and many congratulations to you and your family. If you or your family need more advice please stop back again!

4. weegus

weegus Well-Known Member

During my twin pregnancy, I had ultrasounds at 9 weeks, 14 weeks, 20 weeks, and 28 weeks. I had a lot of Braxton Hicks contractions starting at 22 weeks and lost my mucous plug around 28 weeks. I had my cervical length checked via ultrasound at this time as well, but I think they only did this because of the Braxton Hicks contractions I was having... I was not dilating. I continued having lots of Braxton Hicks and was checked again at 30 weeks and also had a non-stress test, which is just a machine that monitors contractions (which I was having). I still wasn't dilating but I was starting to efface; I went on bed rest at that point. I went into labor a week later and was found to be 4cm dilated. I was then admitted to the hospital for bed rest and given medicine to stop contractions. It didn't work. Labor continued and my twins were born a day and a half later at 31 weeks.

I share my story because I was well monitored AND my cervix was checked AND put on bed rest AND given the "good stuff" in the hospital to stop labor but it just didn't matter... they came early anyway. Something I did get because of all the monitoring were steroid shots for the babies' lung development when I was initially put on bed rest. That did help them, as they did not have to be on a ventilator.

Regarding checking the cervix, I know some doctors don't like to check it unless there is cause because checking can be disruptive and bring on contractions. Did your son's girlfriend have any complications or symptoms of preterm labor?

Twins are an exciting adventure! Congratulations to you and your family!!

5. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Excellent point- I was also given steroid shots and I believe that this truly helped my 35 week twins to be born in good shape.

6. Sarah

Sarah New Member

I didn't have my first ultrasound until I was 18 weeks! Then that's when we found out it was twins. Ever since then, I've been having ultrasounds every 4 weeks. They aren't going to start seeing me every 2 weeks until I hit the 30 week mark (I'm at 26 right now). I'm only 20, and My first OB appointment when I was 8 weeks, I thought I was going to get a Pap-smear, but they won't do it (granted I haven't exactly pushed for it), but they said on patients under 21 they don't do checks on the cervix or pap-smears. Which I find odd because I've had pap-smears before in the past. I think they just developed this new thing where they don't like to check the cervix on anyone under 21 (Which is a little absurd, because I agree they should have been checking her cervix).
    But anyway, congrats on the twins! glad they're doing ok :)

7. Patty G. Simmons

Patty G. Simmons New Member

Thank god, the babies are safe.I had my first ultrasound when I was around 12 weeks. Regular checkups should be done when pregnant with twins.