post partum support belts

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by nycmomma, Feb 18, 2009.

1. nycmomma

nycmomma Well-Known Member

has anyone used the post partum belts, did you like it? i'm not sure whether its worth the investment.

thanks!

2. dezmitch

dezmitch Well-Known Member

I thought I would use mine -- I used it for like 2 days...I delivered vaginally so maybe I would have used it if I had a c-section. I would say not worth the investment.

3. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

The surgen suggested that while, I didn't need it, I might feel more comfortable wearing a girdle. I got one, not a special post partum one, just a regular one and I did feel less like my c/s cut (and I had vertical) was going to pop open when I wore it. It gave me more confidence to move around, which I believe helped contribute to my rapid recovery. (I was running up and down the stairs 4 days later.)

4. tcap

tcap Well-Known Member

I was in a lot of pain after my c-section - especially sitting up, walking, and riding in the car. My doctor got me a support belt - girdle like - and it was wonderful! I wore it for over a week, and it really helped. I definitely recommend getting one.

5. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

Never used one and never needed it. Honestly, the most pain I had was from constipation and related digestion issues. My incision never really hurt (just mild aching), but I may be in the minority on that.

6. reichvt4l

reichvt4l Active Member

My OB actually gives an abdominal binder to any women who have c-sections--it's like a support belt. She said wear it for 2 weeks straight and I believed that it helped me recover so much faster. Haven't had any pulling sensations or strange feelings. I'd ask your OB if they have any.

7. stefwebb

stefwebb Well-Known Member

I bought one but hated it. I liked the idea of one. I wanted one to help feel less jiggly while going back and forth to the NICU. I was walking through the hospital holding up my belly. The one I got was from Motherhood maternity and was just a belt. I could never get it to fit right and hit the right spots (or not hit the wrong spots anyway).

8. snoopytwins

snoopytwins Well-Known Member

QUOTE(reichvt @ Feb 18 2009, 12:36 PM) [snapback]1194944[/snapback]
    My OB actually gives an abdominal binder to any women who have c-sections--it's like a support belt. She said wear it for 2 weeks straight and I believed that it helped me recover so much faster. Haven't had any pulling sensations or strange feelings. I'd ask your OB if they have any.

This is what my OB does. Gave me one for each of my c-sections and it made me feel a little more confident about moving around after a csection...so I didn't feel all jiggly.

9. aandja79

aandja79 Well-Known Member

I thought it would be as great as the maternity support belt that I had been wearing prior to delivery - boy was I wrong! I lasted maybe two or three days, and then gave up on it. I delivered vaginally though, so I'm sure that if I'd have had a c-section it would have been more useful.

10. Lizzybo

Lizzybo Well-Known Member

Mine gave me a huge rash. I had to wear mine outside my clothing but with the rash, even that was difficult.

11. trudyhm@att.net

[email protected] Well-Known Member

I hated the Medela post c-section belt I bought. Instead I wore my pregnancy Bella Bands 24/7 for two months and LOVED them. Just enough support, but comfy too.

12. annagloth

annagloth Well-Known Member

I wore an abdominal binder even though I delivered vaginally b/c one of my friends swore it made her stomach "return to almost normal" pretty quickly. It did help a lot, in my opinion and now it is funny to see that Jessica Alba is in People magazine saying she did that as well....Guess I was one step ahead!

13. nycmomma

nycmomma Well-Known Member

thanks everyone. i'm goign to try for a vaginal delivery and think i'll hold off buying one now. if i need it, I'll ask my OB or send my DH out to Motherhood, wihch is just a few blocks away.

14. stacy.alderfer@yahoo.com

[email protected] Well-Known Member

My nurse gave me an abdominal binder (huge wide swath of elastic w/ velcro on the end) from the hospital the day after I had my c-section. You basically lay down on it, and wrap it around you as tight as it can go - and when you stand up, your insides stay where they're supposed to and you don't have to suck it in!

I LOVED it; I was back in my pre-preggo clothes a week after the babies were born, and it really helped get my stomach muscles back. I wore it for about 3 weeks, tightening it every day. I even slept in it - it was so comfy!!! Definitely ask for one at the hospital; the ones they sell at baby stores aren't big enough to really hold you all in.

15. Rach28

Rach28 Well-Known Member

I had one and used it for the first week or so. It did help but it itched and was most uncomfy. I got rid of it eventually. I dont know how much they are in the US but in Spain they don´t come cheap and it wasn´t worth the money though it did help my figure. I had a vaginal birth too and gained 55lbs during the pregnancy. I was 117lbs pre-pregnancy.

16. abrinka

abrinka Well-Known Member

waste of money! Rolls up when you bend, totally losses its shape after one day of wearing.

17. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

My hospital gave me one and I wore it for six weeks. :blink: I think it helped me out alot and it helped me heal. I think it's definately worth the investment. :good:

18. aussiemom

aussiemom Administrator Staff Member TS Moderator