Sticker Charts for Potty Training

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by sheras2, Jan 3, 2013.

1. sheras2

sheras2 Well-Known Member

My boys are starting to potty train, doing pretty well, and we think the sticker chart and reward method might work well for them.

Is there a particular chart or sticker method that you would recommend? Did you make your own? Follow a template or pattern? I'm trying to find something good and was looking on Amazon for something I could order, but many don't have good photos of what the chart itself is like, as in what milestones are expected. Any tips?

2. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

I just gave them the stickers as a reward (slacker, yeah I know). I had several rolls of different kinds and they got to choose what they wanted. School made a chart with each kids name on it. It was posterboard. Every 10 stickers, they got an ice pop. It took a while for them to get the additive thing but the teachers stuck with it and it worked. The teachers rewarded for actually going in the potty, not just sitting. They also didn't penalize for accidents.

3. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I used a ruler and made one, 10 stickers across and about 4-5 rows. I put their name on top with some cute sticker decorations. Took me about 5 minutes, a sharpie and a ruler ;)

When they filled a row with stickers they got a prize or m&m's.

4. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

I got a sticker rewards chart for Jake and the Neverland Pirates off the Disney Junior website. It was meant for older kids and had all sorts of stuff in it but I dropped it into Paint and modified it to have 2 lines: 1 for going on the potty and 1 for not whining about it (I need to make more lines for actually going on the potty so that the chart fills up at a more consistent rate but that's another story). When she goes to the bathroom and/or doesn't whine about sitting on the potty, she gets a sticker to play with (instant reward) and a "gold doubloon" (part of the rewards chart that I printed off and a more long term reward) to go on the chart. When she fills up the chart, she gets to pick a reward from a goody bag (mostly toys/books/etc from the $1 section at Target or little Cars). We're just getting going with it this week for potty training so I cant' say if it will work or not but it worked wonders for her whining. I notice a great difference between when we remember to do the chart and when we slack off on it (like for the holidays).