Taking shoes off in the car

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Snittens, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

So, we've been out of town this week, lots of in and out of the car, a few times a day usually. Anyway, they cannot keep their shoes and socks on! It is driving me nuts. They have been wearing boots all week which I thought would be hard to take off. Nope, they still get them off. To top it off, it's cold and snowing here, and for half the day, I am on my own, which makes getting them in and out of the car that much harder. I have to stand out in the cold, *find* their flipping socks, and put them on for each child while they laugh about it. <_< I have half a mind to set them down in the snow barefoot.
    HELP! What the heck do I do?

2. rematuska

rematuska Well-Known Member

I wish I could tell you some good ideas. One of my twins takes her socks and shoes off and has this cute/annoying little sinister giggle that happens while she is ripping them off.

Duct tape? :rofl:

Hopefully someone will have a better suggestion for us, but it was what I was thinking of trying earlier today.

3. Dani J.

Dani J. Well-Known Member

Honestly, I swear it's just a phase. My kids did the same thing, but then finally stopped. I remember telling them that if they didn't keep their shoes one we couldn't go to "_____" (enter name of a fun place you were going...park, playgroup, etc.). That seemed to work!

4. denali_ice

denali_ice Well-Known Member

Jenner and Cody love to wear their shoes in the house, but they hate having them on in the car. It has been really, really cold this week (-30-40F... yes, that is a negative #) and they were still taking shoes and socks off. So, while it is this cold...we are dressing them in footed PJ's when we go out. At least we know that *something* will be covering their feet.

5. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

Kelly - how about tights under their pants...while it won't relieve the shoe removal at least their feet will be covered...

DD has recently discovered if I put her mary janes on her that she can remove them in the car - last Saturday she had one shoe and sock off and the other on and fell asleep in the carseat :laughing:

if its any consolation I use my feet as a temperature gage - if I'm hot the socks come off or my feet come out from under the blanket at night to cool me off...I hate hot feet

6. ktfan

ktfan Well-Known Member

QUOTE(AmynTony @ Dec 21 2007, 04:57 AM) [snapback]542554[/snapback]
    Kelly - how about tights under their pants...while it won't relieve the shoe removal at least their feet will be covered...

That's what I was going to say. I would also go as far as taking the shoes off yourself when you get them buckled in so that you know exactly where they are when you get to where you are going. If you think their feet will be cold you could put a blanket over them. Maybe when they don't get to be the one taking the shoes off, it will lose the novelty and you can go back to leaving them on.

7. dawnmj

dawnmj Well-Known Member

Megan does this all the time!!!!

We could be going 5 min up the road and the shoes and socks come off. I think she just like the accomlishment feeling of it. I am sorry no suggestions here, I would love to hear other though.

8. blessedby2

blessedby2 Well-Known Member

This only happens with my DD, DS sometimes but not nearly as often. She is very big on being independent. So, I told her if she takes her shoes and/or socks off, then she can't walk in the house - that I'll have to carry her. Sounds like more work for me, but she really wants to walk and do her own thing. So, it took a couple of times until she figured out that wasn't as fun as walking in herself. Sometimes what we would do is stroll in with DS and if happened to get a few minutes outside to look at snow or something, then her loss that she couldn't participate. I immediately take her in and unstrap DS. We have an attached garage so I let her right in the door and the garage is off of their payroom, so she stays close to us.

It's frustrating. I feel your pain. Hang in there and don't give up. Once you find something that works, stick to it. ;)

9. twinzmom2b

twinzmom2b Well-Known Member

This is DEFINITELY one of my pet peeves. I get SO mad when they do this to me. To make matters worse, they will get the shoe off, drop it on the floor and then CRY b/c they want their shoe back. Yeah, like I can turn around and put it on them WHILE driving! And, like you said, it's mostly on the days where it's snowing and cold or raining and gross out when they are doing it, so I'm the one struggling in the cold dampness getting the shoes back on...UGH!!!! It's SO annoying. I have no advice, just wanted to let you know we are in the same boat sometimes!

10. nikki_0724

nikki_0724 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Snittens @ Dec 21 2007, 03:28 AM) [snapback]542451[/snapback]
    So, we've been out of town this week, lots of in and out of the car, a few times a day usually. Anyway, they cannot keep their shoes and socks on! It is driving me nuts. They have been wearing boots all week which I thought would be hard to take off. Nope, they still get them off. To top it off, it's cold and snowing here, and for half the day, I am on my own, which makes getting them in and out of the car that much harder. I have to stand out in the cold, *find* their flipping socks, and put them on for each child while they laugh about it. <_< I have half a mind to set them down in the snow barefoot.
    HELP! What the heck do I do?

I DO NOT think they do it b/c their feet are hot JMO. I think they do it b/c they know it makes us mad.... I pulled a bad mommy and I put their feet on the snow for a split second for them to learn why they have their shoes on and shoes have not come off since. I would have never even thought of this but a few people I know have tried it and its worked like a charm. Now before I get tore apart here please keep in mind I DID NOT make my child walk through 3 feet of snow for a 1/2 mile with no shoes on to get in the house. When I got to my front door there was tiny piece of snow on my deck and i set their foot on it for a second for them to feel the cold then told them this is why we HAVE to wear our shoes.

I know horrible mommy

11. avaoliviamom

avaoliviamom Well-Known Member

No advice but I feel your pain, mine do this CONSTANTLY!!!! Hopefully it will pass soon.

12. Jennifer P

Jennifer P Well-Known Member

QUOTE(nikki_0724 @ Dec 21 2007, 10:16 AM) [snapback]542899[/snapback]
    I DO NOT think they do it b/c their feet are hot JMO. I think they do it b/c they know it makes us mad.... I pulled a bad mommy and I put their feet on the snow for a split second for them to learn why they have their shoes on and shoes have not come off since. I would have never even thought of this but a few people I know have tried it and its worked like a charm. Now before I get tore apart here please keep in mind I DID NOT make my child walk through 3 feet of snow for a 1/2 mile with no shoes on to get in the house. When I got to my front door there was tiny piece of snow on my deck and i set their foot on it for a second for them to feel the cold then told them this is why we HAVE to wear our shoes.

I know horrible mommy

I don't think that's horrible. I think it was a good way (especially if it is successful) of teaching them a lesson.

13. Tasha

Tasha Well-Known Member

Just wanted to chime in since I thought mine were the only ones to do this! :) I don't have a solution, but I think that they do it becasue they know that we are driving and are in our seatbelt, so we can't do anything about it. They are so smart. I just let them do it now because I waste my breath otherwise. I like the foot in the snow lesson, that might be next.

14. Julia Hulsey

Julia Hulsey Well-Known Member

No advice here. My girls can't keep their shoes on and socks, I don't even know why I buy them. I gave up. It just wasn't worth the trouble.
    We do not get any snow, otherwise I would give the pp "feet in the snow" a try.
    Julia

15. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

QUOTE(nikki_0724 @ Dec 21 2007, 10:16 AM) [snapback]542899[/snapback]

I know horrible mommy

Glad to know it worked. I was thinking of doing it once we got back home (we're home now). We've been out in public places the whole trip, so I didn't want to do it then. No, I wouldn't make them walk through the snow barefoot either, but just do like you did, so they know there is a *reason* why we wear shoes. They did this in the summer too, but it wasn't as annoying since they usually wore crocs or something easy to put on. I thought the boots would stop this problem, but noooo. They even do it in highchairs at restaurants. :angry:

16. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Lila does this too. I can't keep anything on that child, shoes, clothes, it all comes off. I think it's a control issue, they learned they can take them off, so they do. I'm sure they will outgrow it but it is frustrating, that's for sure!

17. ittybittyme

ittybittyme Banned

Mine have been doing this since they began to walk! Worse part for us is that they throw the shoes and they wind up under the seats sometimes and luckily down here its not as cold as up north and some other places. But they usually leave their socks on, its just shoes.

18. Erykah

Erykah Well-Known Member

Just wanted to add that we use the Toddler Bundleme's and Baby legs... it keeps their socks and shoes on for a little bit longer and I stopped having to duck shoes and socks when driving.

19. mom2reagan+two

mom2reagan+two Well-Known Member

I battle this with my 22month old twins too! I hate velcro shoes for this age. If I can't tie the shoe in a double knot, then off it goes. I have never had to dodge a flying shoe! Yikes! On Sunday I loaded all three kids up in the van for church. They were in the garage (connected to my house) and my 5 year old starts yelling about something and tattling. I blew it off so I wouldn't go off on senseless tattling. When we got to church one of the twins only had one shoe on. Hubby and I were looking all over the floor of the van for it, and my five year old pipes up and says, "I told you she took it off and threw it on the garage floor!" Needless to say she went to church with two socks on and one shoe. Then when we left, I picked up the twin with the shoes on and held the shoeless twin's hand. Her socks were coated in ice melt from the snow!

20. Ange2k25

Ange2k25 Well-Known Member

My girls started doing this during the summer when it wasn't such a big deal. This time of year is another story. There's nothing like getting soaked while you search for shoes and socks! I have made a point of letting them walk when they leave their shoes on instead of riding in the stroller since my girls really don't want to sit in the stroller anymore. Katelyn has gotten better about leaving them on and Jessica will keep hers in the seat so she can put them back on. I don't replace the shoe/sock right away if they are sitting in the stroller so they can understand that it is cold and they need to keep their darn shoes and socks on for a reason!

21. Crystal74

Crystal74 Well-Known Member

I wish I had some ideas for you, but my 3 y.o.'s are still doing this!!!!!

Good luck!

Crystal

22. Kessedi

Kessedi Well-Known Member

Nothing bad at taking shoes off IMHO. I did it always when I was a kid