To root canal or not...

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by gyzmotwins, Jan 31, 2007.

1. gyzmotwins

gyzmotwins Well-Known Member

I went to the dentist after I lost a chunk of tooth and he said I need a root canal. He put a temporary filling in and said it can last up to 6 months. I'll be giving birth in 8 weeks... my dilemma, to do it now or after the new baby is born. What do you all suggest???

Marta [​IMG]

2. gyzmotwins

gyzmotwins Well-Known Member

I went to the dentist after I lost a chunk of tooth and he said I need a root canal. He put a temporary filling in and said it can last up to 6 months. I'll be giving birth in 8 weeks... my dilemma, to do it now or after the new baby is born. What do you all suggest???

Marta [​IMG]

3. kimber074

kimber074 Well-Known Member

that is a tough one. my first thought was to wait but it might be better to do it now so you can rest afterwards before you have newborns in the house.

4. mrsfussypants

mrsfussypants Well-Known Member

Do it now! It's really not that bad, and you'll be glad to have it done and overwith so you can move on to bigger, better things....like having babies!!

Reyna

5. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

do it now!!!! that way you won't have to worry about it any more!!
    plus - you don't want to have a bad tooth ache on your delivery day!

6. witmuch

witmuch Well-Known Member

most dentists will not work on your teeth while you are pregnant! i myself thought it was stupid too, but i found that if they give you the wrong dosage of numbing or sleeping stuff that it can be harmfull to your baby(ies). My doctor absolutely would not work on my teeth and they were falling out of my head during every pregnancy. I eventually had to get my whole top row pulled and i lucked out when i got it done 2 months before i found out i was pregnant.

i would wait until your baby is about 3 weeks if you can wait that long without pain and get a babysitter then and get it done. believe me when i say that you will not be in the mood for anything after a root canal and that includes staying awake. this wait saves you and you baby from unwanted stress.

i hope that this helps!
    lots of love!
    meshell

7. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I had one when I was pregnant this time. It really depends on whether you want to deal with being in the seat for that long while you are this pregnant. It was a long process and I have to go back for the crown now that the baby is here.

8. Jordari

Jordari Well-Known Member

I'd be surprised if they'll give you anaesthesia that's not absolutely necessary while pregnant; and as another poster said it's a long process, then you have to get fitted for a crown. I know when i had mine done last year it was FOUR visits: one to the dentist for the crown fit, two to the periodontist for the root canal itself (too long to do in one shot), then another to the dentist to get the crown fit.

Your call but i'd check re: asesthesia and how many visits it will take. Good luck!

9. Kesnoi89

Kesnoi89 New Member

In my case there was not any option and I needed the urgent root canal treatment because it was too painful for me to keep up with out the surgery. Well, it was not that painful and the important thing is that I had carefully selected the most renowned dentist Torrance for that.