Traveling to Turkey

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by anoosrini, Aug 18, 2010.

1. anoosrini

anoosrini New Member

Have any of you travelled to Turkey with kids? I'm traveling from India, and I would appreciate any advice. What to take, what's available, how are the restaurants with kids, what's safe to feed the kids etc.

2. a1cbrandy

a1cbrandy Well-Known Member

I lived in Turkey for 2 yrs and traveled with 4 month old twins, and then back to the USA with 23 month old twins and a 7 month old. The people there love kids, so restruants and things shouldnt be a problem. If the food is different than what you are use too, you may all get a little stomach bug when you first get there, we did. They call it the Turkish Trots. haha Its not horrible..but for kids in diapers it can be worse. I would take it easy eating food out when you first get there, stick with breads and things you know. How long will you be in Turkey? Which part are you going too? Some parts are tourist and others are not. So depending on what you want to do there..you should take what you usually would. I can answer more questions if you want..either ask them here or msg me. I loved living in Turkey..the people are wonderful, and they love kids. Dont be suprised if they come up to you in public places and want to hold them. That happened to us a lot..haha.

Good luck..
    Brandy

2 people like this.
  3. anoosrini

anoosrini New Member

Thanks so much for your reply. We are in Istanbul for 3 days and in Bodrum for 5 days. We have booked the Ada Hotel in Bodrum, because it was recommended by a friend. We are yet to book a hotel in Istanbul. What's your recommendation?
    My kids are on diapers. They are on cow's milk and home cooked meals. But for the trip I'm planning to take their formula, and Nestle baby cereal, that way just hot water is enough! :) They'll eat fresh fruits, yogurt, bread and veggies. So that's okay I guess.
    I'm also worried if I can take them in the stroller around Istanbul? Or do I need to take slings? Do I get Huggies Diapers in Istanbul?

4. a1cbrandy

a1cbrandy Well-Known Member

They have grocery stores like ours in America, so you should be able to get anything you need for them. I would take extra everything...just in case they dont have your brand. I dont know about hotels, sorry. I lived on an Air Force base..and never stayed in a hotel there. However, Istanbuhl is a high tourist area, so they are going to have one to meet your needs. You can have strollers there, its very busy...so slings might be better one some days. However thats kind of heavy with two almost toodlers. haha Istanbuhl is a big city..very populated and I say it looks a lot like NYC. You are going to have so much fun..I loved the Turkish people, so kind and loving. Good luck!!

Brandy