TWINS? High early HCGs

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by lilskippy, Mar 12, 2010.

1. lilskippy

lilskippy New Member

Hi there ladies,

I am still early yet in my pregnancy but am being tortured with my HCG numbers and my pending ultrasound in two weeks. I had a miscarriage in 11/2009 at five weeks; my HCGs were 299. Yesterday, at 4w5d, my HCGs were 9,250; above the singleton range and in the twin range. Although my OB said those #s cannot be used as a diagnostic tool in identifying twin pregnancy, we will be looking out for two sacs at ultrasound. The possibility of carrying twins is always in the back on my mind since my mother carried fraternal twins.

Since there is such a wide range of early HCG levels during pregnancy (and before jumping to conclusions!), my question to you expecting mothers is this: Do you remember what your early HCG #s were early in pregnancy? I want to get an idea of whether or not other mothers of twins had the same figures early on, or if Im straight up just imagining this premonition....

Thank you!!

2. kcprochazka

kcprochazka Well-Known Member

I don't remember exact numbers, but I do remember that they were quadrupling every 2 days instead of doubling. The doubling time can be more indicative than a single HCG number. Did they do any follow up bloodwork or just the one draw? Even then I know so many mamas that have twins that had normal singleton range HCG and doubling numbers - and friends that had super high HCG and fast doubling and are only expecting one. I know it's fun to speculate though! Good luck!

3. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

At 14 dpo, my # was ~350... two days later it was ~900 and two more days passed and it was ~2,000 or so. My doctor told me the same thing, that the numbers don't indicate how many are in there.

Good luck and keep us updated. :hug: :hug:

4. MyMayBabies

MyMayBabies Well-Known Member

My betas were 173 @ 13dpo, 419 @ 15dpo and 3992 @ 20 dpo.

Good luck!

5. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

14 dpo = 1620 (4 weeks)
    16 dpo = 3280 (4 weeks, 2 days)

6. 2xjoy

2xjoy Well-Known Member

Ididn't have my actual levels tested, but as this was a planned pregnancy, I was keeping a very close eye on things and remember seeing 2 very clear and definate lines on a HPT at 3 weeks exactly!!

7. Mellizos

Mellizos Well-Known Member

Mine were so low that the doctor didn't think it was a viable pregnancy. These two pesky 6 y/o remind me everyday that the HCG level doesn't mean much.

8. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

Mine were solid average for 14 dpo & 16 DPO.

9. Robynsegg

Robynsegg Well-Known Member

13 days past 5 day transfer - 1248
    20 days past 5 day transfer - 24,800

10. Haydie

Haydie Well-Known Member

You are in luck, as I have all my HCG numbers from all my pregnancies.

1st Baby
     1/20/04 HCG levels = 74.3 Proges = 10.9 (14dpo)
     1/23/04 HCG levels = 204.6 Proges = 11.4 (17dpo)
     2/10/04 1st u/s at 6 wk 5days heartbeat was 178

2nd Baby
    100mg of clomid days 3-7
    3/15/06 O’d on cd 27
    3/25/06 Started testing positive with 1st Response at 10 dpo
    3/27/06 12DPO HCG 44.4 / Proges 21.8
    3/29/06 14 DPO (4wks) 2nd Blood draw HCG 141
    4/3/06 19DPO – They rechecked my HCG and it was 1,889.
    4/18/06 almost 7wks 1st OB appt and U/S. U/S started off scary they only saw a sac and no baby. They had to do an internal u/s and they were able to find the baby and heart was beating away at 127 beats per minute.

TWINS
    9/3/09 – Four + different pregnancy tests all positive. Went for lab work to be sure. LMP 8/4/09. Unexpected! Maybe Ovulated around 8/22-25???
    9/8/09 – Got the results back. HCG 19 & Proges 26.9 (I was maybe 10-12dpo)
    9/10/09 – 2nd blood draw HCG 905 (around 17dpo)
    9/17/09 – 3rd blood draw HCG 22,776 and they set up u/s (around 24 dpo)
    9/25/09 - 1st u/s I am having TWINS!

The 1st time I thought to myself twins was when I got my proges levels back and they were close to 30. I have always had to take proges to obstain a healthy pregnancy. The highest it had ever been was when I was on Clomid with my 2nd baby and that was still lower than my twin pregnancy. I never had to take proges with this preg and ALL of it was a huge surprise. :)

11. WaterGuzzler

WaterGuzzler Well-Known Member

I don't remember what my levels were but I do remember that my mw called me after my labs and said that my hcg levels were "unusually high" and she wanted me to come in for an exam.

12. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

I lost a singleton in 11/05, got pregnant a few months later. At 5w3d my HCG was 10,200. At 6w4d, we found out it was twins. No family history, no drugs ...

13. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

My beta at 14dp3dt was 1310. That was so strong they didn't do another one. I've heard progesterone levels are an indication of multiples more than HCG, but not sure on all that. My progesterone at 14dp3dt was 94 - quite high.

14. Sunny

Sunny Well-Known Member

At 10 DPO/IUI, I tested positive at home. I called the doctor and they ran my HCG and progesterone that same day. The nurse called and said I was pregnant, but my beta was low -- I believe it was in the 30s? I was at the zoo when she called, I literally raced home (got a speeding ticket :FIFblush:) and checked http://www.betabase.info/. My suspicions were correct! Although it was a low number in general, I was only 10 DPO so it was relatively high, considering.

15. Haydie

Haydie Well-Known Member

That was my first thought it might be twins was when my proges was a normal level. I have always had very low preoges and required proges to obsatin the preg. When I got preg with the twins is was almost 30 which was about 3 times higher than normal for me.