two-wheel bicycle

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by mom of one plus two, May 25, 2007.

1. mom of one plus two

mom of one plus two Well-Known Member

I can't remember how I learned to ride a bike. I just know I know how and haven't forgotten. I am trying to teach this wonderful ability to my older daughter. I tried holding the bike and running behind but that just seems neverending and I never get to let go for very long before she falls.

Any tips to make it easier?

2. jacob+twinsmom

jacob+twinsmom Well-Known Member

Jacob learned how last summer (he was very young, only 4 1/2). The best thing we did was teach him on a VERY small bike where he could easily reach the ground. I tried running behind him for a while, and it never worked. Then one day I just let him try it out. He basically taught himself. I think it was faster this way because he had to get his balance on his own instead of relying on me to hold it. I remember figuring it out on my own too. Just let her play with it by herself on a flat wide area and see what she does.

3. heathernd

heathernd Well-Known Member

Honestly, just like potty training...when they're ready they're ready. Our boys learned a couple of months ago (5.5). DH packed them up, packed snacks, packed the bikes, and took them to an empty college parking lot prepared to spend the day. Well, Jaydon hopped on and with a little push from dad, was on his way....kind of like Forrest Gump when he decided he was going to run. Jackson quickly followed a few minutes later. I agree that a smaller bike so they can reach the ground seemed to work well for my boys, although Jaydon has to lean to the side for his foot to touch. Good Luck!

4. kbksmama

kbksmama Well-Known Member

We bought a balance buddy at Wal-Mart. It attaches to the back wheel and looks like a upsidedown U for the parent to hold on to. We also had to take her to a parking lot, she was too distracted worrying about cars, falling off the edge of the road and falling down. My MIL bought her knee and elbow pads and gloves and that helped with the being scared of falling down. Oh yeah, patience, patience, patience, which neither my DH or I have much of so we traded off nights! But really, the balance buddy was a life saver (or should I say back saver).

5. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

One of my friends taught her daughter to ride by pushing her into the grass and letting her ride across the grass. It seems to help them maintain balance.

6. fourznuff

fourznuff Well-Known Member

The guy at the bike shop said to take the pedals off and let them get the hang of coasting to learn to maintain balance. Then when they have that down to put the pedals back on. Of course do this on a flat surface for safety! I took my dd to an outside basketball court. My husband taught my son at our nearby middle school blacktop.

Good luck and have fun!

Kimberly

7. dollymomma

dollymomma Well-Known Member

I remember teaching myself too around 5 years old... My twins are both different... Takoda learned last year when he was 4, he wanted the training wheels OFF, so dh took them off, he fell a few times, but got really good fast... Talon, on the other hand was a scaredy cat... He didn't get his training wheels off until a few months ago, around his 5th birthday... He is very cautious... But he wasn't ready, so we didn't push it... When they're ready, they'll let you know...

8. Kessedi

Kessedi Well-Known Member

Hello. You know, many factors depend on the bike you have. Is it good enough? I think you should read a review about Hyper bikes with Philly Pedals. I am sure that it will help you to choose the best bike of all and your daughter will definitely start riding it