15 weeks pregnant with twins. You should be feeling good for the next few weeks. You’re in the middle of the honeymoon pregnancy period, after all. Even though you’re pregnant with twins and your symptoms have probably been worse, they should be letting off by now, and if they aren’t it won’t be much longer.
So take advantage of all this great feeling. Spend a little more time with your partner, and do what comes naturally.
A single fetus at 15 weeks
Your Twin Babies at 15 Weeks Pregnant
Right now your babies are getting bigger much faster than they have been. A singleton would be around 4 inches long right now, and weigh around 2.5 ounces. Obviously, expect twinnies to be slightly smaller and lighter, but you can still expect them to be around the size of an orange, or a medium sized apple.
They’re also starting to look a whole lot more like they will when they’re finally born. Their ears will have finished their journey from where they began on the neck, and the eyes will have finished moving from the sides of the head to the front.
They’re also going to be running their own exercise routines inside your tummy, moving every limb near constantly, twisting and writhing all over the place, practising movements and growing muscular strength for later in life.
As well as moving around, your babies eyes are developed enough that they’re fully capable of sensing light, even though their eyelids are still completely closed, and they’re also busy breathing into their little tiny noses, even though all they’re actually breathing is amniotic fluid. This helps their little lungs develop, getting them ready for the big day.
Don’t leave your baby shopping too late. Check out our newborn twins shopping list here.
Twin Pregnancy Symptoms at 15 Weeks
This should be a great period for you. The symptoms that you should be having will be minor, and the potential upsides are actually really sweet for a lot of women. We’ll start with the bad, and move on to the good.
- Indigestion, heartburn and gas: Your hormones are still playing merry havoc on your digestive system. Certain foods can still be causing issues, so pay close attention to what you’re putting into your system. And if you’re having constant issues, it might be worth seeing your doctor and asking if there’s anything you can take to make it better.
- Nosebleeds: As a proud mom of twins to be, your body is busy producing far more blood to keep them supplied with everything your babies need. But this raises your blood pressure, and in the coming weeks, you can expect to have more a more sensitive nasal area. This can lead to the lovely symptom known as rhinitis of pregnancy. Or, you know, pregnancy nosebleeds.
- Swollen or bleeding gums: You can also thank your hormones for his, too. In this case, all those hormones are reacting with the bacteria that naturally live in your mouth, and cause a bizarre reaction that can trigger gingivitis. You might also notice tiny little bumps on your gums. These are scarily named pregnancy tumors, and even though they’ve got an awful name, they’re actually completely painless and harmless. But make sure that you look after your actual teeth. If you’re like me, sometimes you can forget to floss every so often, but make sure that you’re on point right now. If you don’t keep your teeth clean, that gingivitis can progress to periodontis, or infected gums, which has actually been linked to preeclampsia and premature labor! So follow a good dental care routine, brush twice a day, use mouthwash and floss.
- Running out of breath: Your babies getting bigger comes with a couple of downsides. The first is the increased blood flow and the symptoms that come along with that, which we’ve already discussed. But there’s also this. Shortness of breath. It’s actually nothing to do with increased weight or lack of fitness. It’s really because your babies are taking up a lot of space in your torso, which can actually prevent your lungs from expanding to their full capacity.
- Increased sex drive: This is the good benefit we mentioned earlier. You should be feeling a whole lot better in the coming weeks, and you might find your sex drive coming right back with a vengeance. As long as your doctor hasn’t specifically ruled out sexual activity, you should be good to get right back to it! So let loose and enjoy yourself!
15 Weeks Ultrasound Twins
There’s a lot of tests that you might have chosen so you can check on the health of your babies, and if you did, they’ll be coming up soon.
First off, you might have chosen to have a multiple marker screen (MMS,) which is a blood test that screens you for several issues.
But you might also have chosen to get an amniocentesis test, which requires an ultrasound. You’re more likely to have chosen to take this test if you or your partner have some form of genetic disorder, or your baby is particularly at risk of genetic disorders. Whilst there’s a very small chance of complications, for most people the benefits far outweigh the risks, so don’t worry, and talk to your medical practitioner about the issues you might face.
[responsive_video type=’youtube’ hide_related=’1′ hide_logo=’0′ hide_controls=’0′ hide_title=’0′ hide_fullscreen=’0′ autoplay=’0′]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEQpaCep0EU[/responsive_video]
Things to Do This Week for a Healthy Pregnancy
- If you’re having an amnio or MMS, make sure you’ve got it scheduled and written down somewhere that you don’t forget it.
- You’re probably feeling much better than you have been the last few weeks, so take this chance to enjoy yourself!
Worth Buying Now
Disclosure: These links are affiliate links meaning we earn a small commission for any qualifying purchases.
- If you haven’t already bought some comfy maternity wear, you might want to treat yourself. These leggings and this t-shirt are a good place to start.
- Why not set up your Baby Registry?
- Still experiencing morning sickness? This tea can help.
[thrive_text_block color=”blue” headline=”‘Must Haves’ in Trimester 2 “]We asked the TwinStuff Community what their Must Have products were during the second Trimester:
- Belly cream
- Elastic pants waist extenders
- Bra extenders
- Belly belt
- Pregnancy pajamas
- Pain heat wrap
- Muscle pain soothing balm
- Car seat support
- Pregnancy novelty t-shirts 🙂
Are You 15 Weeks Pregnant with Twins?
The good weeks are coming, girls. The next few weeks of pregnancy are going to be the easiest you face, so make sure you enjoy them and do everything you can to love life. How do you feel at 15 weeks pregnant with twins?