19 weeks pregnant with twins!
In the next couple of weeks, you’ve got your mid pregnancy ultrasound coming up, and that’s incredible, because that’s both a marker of the middle of your pregnancy, and a time to make sure your babies are completely healthy, as well as find out their sexes, if you want to!
A single fetus at 19 weeks
Your Twin Babies at 19 Weeks Pregnant
Almost half a pound in weight, and six inches long, your babies are around the size of mangoes now. Considering how small they were just eight weeks ago, that sort of growth is incredible!
This week, there’s two major events that your babies will be going through.
The first is the growth of the vernix caseosa, a protective skin coating that keeps your babies safe for the rest of their time in the womb. It’s that white coating that you sometimes see on their skin when they’re born, and it works sort of like an anti-wrinkle cream for your babies sensitive skin!
The other major thing? Your babies brains are activating the sensory nervous system, and linking up all of the parts of the brain that work with sight, smell, hearing and taste.
Twin Pregnancy Symptoms at 19 Weeks
The next few weeks worth of symptoms aren’t debilitating, like they were in the first few weeks of pregnancy. Instead, they’re mostly just annoyances that you have to face.
Expect them to get worse over time, though, so learning to deal with them now, whilst they’re relatively minor, is a great choice.
- Back pain: Your babies are still growing, and still putting pressure on important parts of you insides that don’t particularly like having pressure on them. Make sure you’re stretching, and like we said last week, start getting used to sleeping on your side.
- Leg cramp: This is related to the back pain, and it’s got pretty much the same cause. Extra pressure on your body, from all the extra weight and your babies pressing on nerves and blood vessels. Keep stretching, and if it gets bad, massage the affected area, even if it hurts!
- Abdominal pains: Round ligament pain is back. Or maybe it never left. Either way, this is caused by your uterus having to make space for your baby. As a mom to be of twins, expect this to hit you harder than women carrying only one baby. As obviously you need more room.
- Dizziness: There’s a lot of reasons that you can feel dizzy during pregnancy. First off, you might be slightly short of breath and not know about it, so a little bit of exercise can leave you light headed. Your babies can also put pressure on your blood vessels, and take the lion’s share of blood, which can hit you harder than you might expect. Finally, the stress and tiredness can be surprisingly debilitating, so make sure you’re looking after yourself properly!
19 Weeks Ultrasound Twins
You probably aren’t having an ultrasound this week, because you’ve got the mid pregnancy scan coming up soon.
That’s a biggie, and it’s one where you’ll find out how your babies are developing, how they measure up, and whether there’s any cause for concern.
[responsive_video type=’youtube’ hide_related=’1′ hide_logo=’0′ hide_controls=’0′ hide_title=’0′ hide_fullscreen=’0′ autoplay=’0′]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFQJjJYho_M[/responsive_video]
We’ll go into this more, next week, so make sure you check back then.
Things to Do This Week for a Healthy Pregnancy
- It might be worth starting to search for a paediatrician. You want someone you’re comfortable with, and someone you can trust. A great starting point is to ask friends and family who are already mothers for their recommendations.
- Take some time for yourself. You’re probably starting to feel the effects of being pregnant with twins, so an evening of pampering could be just what the doctor ordered.
- If you haven’t already, start considering baby names. This is doubly important if you’ve decided to find out your babies sexes in the coming scans.
Worth Buying Now
Disclosure: These links are affiliate links meaning we earn a small commission for any qualifying purchases.
- Are you starting to feel the weight of your twins? It’s a good idea to get a maternity belt as soon as possible. They are only going to get heavier.
- Why not set up your Baby Registry?
[thrive_text_block color=”blue” headline=”‘Must Haves’ in Trimester 2 “]We asked the TwinStuff Community what their Must Have products were during the second Trimester:
- Belly cream
- Elastic pants waist extenders
- Bra extenders
- Belly belt
- Pregnancy pajamas
- Pain heat wrap
- Muscle pain soothing balm
- Car seat support
- Pregnancy novelty t-shirts 🙂
Are You 19 Weeks Pregnant with Twins?
Next week is officially the halfway point. After next week, you can actually start counting down the weeks until your due date! Pretty soon, you’ll even be counting down the days!
Make sure you check back in next week. We’ll be learning about the importance of the mid pregnancy scan, which is more detailed than you could probably even imagine.
In the mean time, feel free to drop us a comment, if you’ve got any questions, or just want to chat about what you’re going through. How do you feel at 19 weeks pregnant with twins?